𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟎𝟗 { She's Not Back }

"𝚂𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚖𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚖𝚎𝚊𝚗𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚋𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚘𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚗."
~~~

𝐙𝐚𝐜𝐡'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

"I beat you five times Miles. We're not playing again" I said for the final time, throwing the controller across the couch.

"Last time I promise. Pretty pleeease." Miles said with both his hands intertwined up to his chest.

You've got to be fucking kidding me. This fool acted like Bria more and more everyday. I wanted to smack him as I chuckled underneath my breath.

"Don't ever call me that again." Glancing at my watch, I realize I have practice in exactly 20 minutes.

Shit

Miles was whining like a child because I wouldn't start up the game again. Currently, I was at his apartment playing 2k19. I was always either hanging out over here or at practice. No where else with no one else.

Miles place was like a safe haven for me since I couldn't punch a hole through his walls whenever I wanted. Also I got to see my only other friend Bria. That little girl made my days brighter when all I wanted was to disappear into oblivion.

"You mind if I invite Vic to lunch with us tomorrow!" Miles shouts while moon walking to the fridge.

"Sure, I guess." Would that mean Winters was joining as well. Miles told me he saw the two eating together at the cafe a week ago.

"I guess huh. Afraid to see a certain gingered haired girl Zachariah." He taunted, dragging out my full name.

Everyday I regret telling him about our little encounter in the hallway that I couldn't seem to let escape the depths of my mind.

"Don't start. Where's my niece?" I ask looking around. I could see faint remnants of Brias presence around the house. The corner of the living room was messy with toys and her art portraits covered the walls everywhere you looked.  Miles referred to it as his free home decor.

"She's asleep as always. I don't know what she does at daycare to be so tired all the damn time." Miles came back into the living room with two water bottles and a plate of shrimp Alfredo. Yeah this fucker could cook too. I mean cook books littered his kitchen and he had ingredients for just about any meal you could think of.

Miles wanted to be a chef. No he didn't specifically tell me this but I picked up on a few things after being this idiots friend for over two years. It was plain as day he had a love for cooking.

The way his face lit up when someone asked him to cater a party on campus or when he mastered a recipe after trying a thousand times. Let's not forget him forcing me taste all his weird concoctions that I regret ever come close to my mouth.

But cooking wasn't going to pay the bills or feed Bria, so fighting underground matches would do instead until he graduated. They were dangerous, upbeat and worst of all illegal. You would never think a guy like Miles would be involved in such activities but he got sucked into that world really young and hasn't been able to leave since.

"Anyway, don't change the subject now Zachy."

"There's nothing to say about Winters. I was bored so I flirted a little and it was fun. That's about it."

"I mean it wouldn't hurt to get back out there you-"

"Just drop it Miles" I spoke a little too codly. I clench and unclench my fist trying to calm down but it wasn't getting even harder these days with all the non stop stress.