𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟒𝟏 { Lesson Learned }

"𝚂𝚑𝚎'𝚜 𝚐𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚜𝚑𝚎'𝚜 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎, 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚊𝚝 𝚘𝚗𝚌𝚎."
~~~

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

"What are you doing here?"

Straight to the point I see.

After my mothers manic episode in the lobby, security escorted us back to her private room so we could talk in private. To them I was just a daughter here to see her mother on a holiday. But in reality, we were almost strangers.

I scan the entirety of her place for pictures, personal items, decor but found nothing. The place hardly looked like she lived here. With spotless wooden floors, empty walls and minimal furniture, loneliness was the clear character of the room.

Sitting across from her at this two person table, I pick up on a few things since the last time I've seen her. Like the roots of her hair were now a light gray instead of blonde, there were now heavy bags underneath her eyes and she's gained back the weight she lost from using.

"I came to visit."

My mother lets out a sarcastic laugh. "I've been stuck here for almost three years and you want to visit on Thanksgiving." She revealed the information like it was new to me.

"And who's fault is that?" I bite back, leaving her silent. Sighing, I rub my bare arms with my free hand and look away. The silence is louder than I would've hoped it to be. It's empty and the opposite of peaceful.

There's so much I want to say. I could've asked her a million other questions I've been wanting to be answered, but I don't.

"Sage, I'm clean. I have been since I got here. I can promise you that." She searches my eyes for a beat of happiness but I don't give her an ounce of satisfaction to see me proud.

I don't believe you

"So explain that episode in the lobby." I further questioned.

"It was a small moment of weakness. Nothing to be alarmed about. I-Im sorry you had to see that." Her shoulders dropped with embarrassment.

I watch her reaction and all the signs are there. It almost gives me deja vu.

"For once, tell me the truth." I stare back at her.

"I a-"

"Please." I plead.

She paused, drew in a long breath and blinked back what I think was tears. The struggle to speak is evident and I grow nervous of her answer. "My roommate—she—uhh—overdosed last week and they won't let me go to her funeral. So I made a scene and now I definitely won't be going." A painful chuckle leaves her lips.

"I'm so-"

My phone ringing in my purse stops me and I pull it out to see Zachs picture covering my screen. He left a bunch of messages that I had yet to reply to.

"Is that Nicholas?" She sits up in her seat looking more attentive. "Does your dad know you're here, Sage?"

I press decline and turn my phone faced down on the table. "It was my boyfriend and no Dad doesn't know."