𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟒𝟗 { Sober Thoughts }

"𝚃𝚑𝚊𝚝'𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚜, 𝚠𝚎 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚖 𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚊𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎."
~~~

𝐙𝐚𝐜𝐡'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

The mood of the locker room was energetic and I don't remember the last time Coach didn't yell at us before leaving the field after a game. It was safe to say the 34-6 score was just enough to keep him off our asses till the next practice.

"Yo, Zach! The guys and I thought it would be cool to catch some drinks after today's win at Joe's. You down?" Dwight asked, gripping both ends of a white towel around his neck.

Time was ticking and I had to leave now before visiting hours were over. Getting wasted in a hot smelly club with frats was the last thing on my mind.

I pause and close my locker soon after. "Nah man, you guys go ahead, I'm not really in a drinking mood," I answered a little too quickly. I know I sounded like a class-act dick. When Dwight's permanent goofy smile starts to fade and the guys in the back start to shrug like they already knew I would decline, I say the first thing that pops up in my head to redeem myself. "Listen I'll pick up the tab in the morning, just please don't go overboard."

"Wait, you serious?" Dwight grinned like a fucking idiot, before turning around towards the rest of the team and lifting both hands in the air. "Aye yo! Guys, Zach said double the drinks for him tonight. They're on him!"

"That's not what I—

An almost ear-piercing shout of approval rings the locker room full of players as more guys start to appear from the showers and weight room. Jesus, there were more of them. They start to repeatedly bang on the walls and slap each other's backs like animals. Even the rookies were talking about going to try and pull some chicks tonight like they even had the slightest clue of what they were doing.

"...said."

As I start to head out with my head hung, my footsteps slow down with a pull to my arm. "Hey Zach," Ezra catches up to me still in uniform and drenched in sweat, the complete opposite of me who had just showered and got dressed in some more casual clothes.

I flip my wrist to check my watch and I mentally calculate how long it will take to get back over to Jersey if I use my bike instead of my car. "Yeah, what's up?"

His eyes flip from my watch and bag then back to my face with a questioning look. "You good? Haven't seen you and the group in a while."

By group, I know he really meant Izzy. The two of them had apparently started getting close every time we hung out and ever since Sage's court case has become a priority, we've missed a couple of group lunches.

"Yeah, umm there's just a lot going on with Sage's job and group therapy evaluations coming out soon. My mind is kinda all over the place right now. It won't affect me on the field so you don't have to worry about that." I make sure to add in the last part for reassurance.

"Man, of course, it won't. You came back from an ankle injury and still put up half our points tonight. I'm just proud of you. I wanted you to know that before you left." Ezra confessed like he wanted to say more.

"Oh, thanks." I slip him a poor excuse of a smile and he just laughs. I think he's kinda taken back that I'm even showing a small display of affection at all."Have you spoken to AJ lately? It's not like him to miss a game." I ask, trying to subtly switch the topic.

"Yeah, he's got some family issues to sort with. He had a meeting with Coach about it last week."

"Oh."