𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟓𝟑 { No More Fire }

"𝙰𝚗𝚍 𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚋𝚞𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚏𝚕𝚊𝚖𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚝𝚊𝚔𝚎𝚗 𝚋𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚗𝚍."
~~~

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

The bed is cold when I roll over.

Like I had slept alone. Like the sun sprinting past the curtainless window had no ability to keep that side warm enough for its keeper to return. Like the rounds and rounds of love making never even occurred.

With only a bed sheet covering my naked body, I fully sit up, taking in the cleanliness of the morning room. My clothes from last night laid neatly folded onto my desk chair and not scattered around the floor for me to embarrassingly find.

I'm alone yet little fragments of him are still lingering.

The tiny cologne bottle accompanied by a single ring sat neatly on my dresser. A pair of grey joggers and a jersey that didn't belong to me, keeps the inside of my drawer warm. The dent in the pillow next to my head still smells exactly like him. Just the scent alone overwhelms me.

I drop the sheets, reaching for a tank and sweats. The cool breeze causing my hair to blow across my face, sends a shiver down my tense spine. When my own clothes fail to show up, I grab Zachs joggers onto the bed and head straight for my underwear drawer.

As I hike the sweats up my legs a matte red envelope the size of my hand falls out onto the floor, just inches from my feet. My curiosity peaks as I bend over to pick up the clearly unopened envelope. Though I vow not to read the contents inside, I flip the mail over and read the fine print. It wouldn't hurt to see who it's from.

University of Texas Recruitment
Football Transfer Portal

Why would Zach be receiving recruitment letters to another college halfway into his junior year?

I take a couple steps backwards until my back hits the bare wall where my mirror once stood. The four corners start to close in. Second by second the room begins to get smaller.

Put it away Sage. Open it. Put it back in the drawer, Sage. No, open it. You deserve to know. It's none of your business. Luna wasn't his only secret. She was.

Clearly she wasn't.

My fingers are hesitant but strong as I carefully rip the sealed top open and unfold the lengthy page.

Skimming through the introductions and irrelevant information, my eyes fall to the very bottom of the letter and my already fragile heart breaks once more in the span of forty eight hours.

__

I knock once. No response. Twice. Only silence. Three times as hard, frustration beginning to form beneath my locked fist. I hear shuffling inching closer. The door flings open. It's Miles.

"Sage? Hey, what are you do-

"Did you know?" I lift up the envelope that had just recently thrown my life upside down.

Miles glances over at my hand and the first thing I notice is the instant regret swimming behind his eyes. It's not hard to find when this boy wears his emotions like an open book.

He nods, not even attempting to lie for his best friend. "I did."

My breath heaves. My heart tied away in knots. My mind heavy with betrayal. I don't know how much of this I can take.

"How long?"

"Sage, I can't-"

I shake my head, cutting off his sentence. "How long did you know that your best friend was recruited to transfer halfway across the country Miles." I tried to yell but strangely the words came out calm instead. While hot tears pricked at the center of my eyes, I walked further into Zach's room, trying to find any sign that he was here. There was none.