𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟑𝟒 { Talk To Me }

"𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚞𝚙 𝚘𝚗 𝚞𝚜, 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚢𝚎𝚝."
~~~

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

The second I enter the bathroom I let it all out.

Every bit of emotion I've been bottling up creeps from under my skin and out into the open. My breaths are labored, deprived of any oxygen and my throat feels constricted as if someone had their hands wrapped around it. Each inhale is like a breath of pure relief until the beating in my chest doubles, then triples in pain while letting out the shaky exhale.

I wipe the coat of sweat beginning to form on my forehead as I squeeze my eyes shut, no longer wanting to see my broken reflection in the mirror.

Saying I was prepared for Adriens reaction would be nothing short of a lie. I was expecting some type of reprimanding for going public with my departure without discussing the formalities yet, but none of this magnitude. Court was a long process and who knows if I could win against a company worth millions and it's large support system. I was in over my head thinking this would go my way. It never did.

I curve my hand at the bottom of the sink, letting the pool of water fill my palms to the brim. I splash the cool liquid against my face in order to calm my nerves. The action does nothing but leave droplets of water on the crease of my nose and quivering lips.

In a way my life was similar to drowning. My head took an unexpected dive underwater, in the beginning feeling free and mesmerized by the new scenery but as I stayed down there a gut wrenching suffocation took over leaving me in fear and struggling to come back up for what I needed. Air.

The sound of the door creaking open stops me from my mental monologue and my stomach churns at the only person who would possibly follow me into the women's room.

She's silent several steps behind me, only the click of her heels could be heard traveling in the stillness of our proximity. My heavy breathing is the only thing distracting me from bolting out of this bathroom.

Lifting my head from the marble countertop, I meet her softened gaze in the mirror in front of me, which is always the complete opposite when we're not alone.

I looked away, telling myself she wasn't worth it. Whatever she had to say would just be another ploy in her sick game of trying to make me feel like I wasn't good enough. Strangely enough, Kelsey once knew me like the back of her hand and that made me much easier to target. We were insanely close to the point I trusted her with secrets about my mother. Things I couldn't bare saying out loud.

She sighed behind me. "I didn't know Adrien would take it this far, Sage but you have to understand where he's coming from. Where I'm coming from."

Shaking my head I mutter, "I'm not doing this with you today." I grab my bag and begin to walk when Kelsey blocks my path, holding out her hand for me to stop.

"For once. You need to listen to me." Her tone felt like a plea, as if warning me wasn't enough. "This won't end well and if you want to keep your image intact for whatever career you are pursuing next I'd suggest you publicly take back your statement."

"No, you listen to me Kelsey." I replied, making no move to remove my stare from hers. For a moment she's taken back by my abruptness. It's probably the first time I've ever stood up to her face to face and for a split second I swear I see the corners of her mouth tug into a proud smile.