𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟓𝟖 { Moving On }

"𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚔 𝙸'𝚟𝚎 𝚏𝚒𝚐𝚞𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚑𝚘𝚠 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚔 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚒𝚝 𝚛𝚒𝚙𝚙𝚒𝚗' 𝚖𝚢 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚘𝚞𝚝."
~~~

𝐅OUR 𝐘𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I'd give just about anything for a solid eight hours of sleep right now. And when I say anything, I mean anything.

Urban Scopes only leading office on the East Coast is nearly empty at 7:30am in the morning but like always the women in charge, who I call boss insists I be here at the crack of dawn with her freshly ground coffee and sesame bagel ready for her before she even steps inside the building. The same exact bagel I glare towards on top of her desk at noon without so much as a bite in its entirety.

I remove my blazer from my body, leaving me in just a cream colored blouse that overly accentuates my arms and bust. Hence the reason for the blazer but the thermostat in here has been defective for the past two days, which has caused me to produce an embarrassing amount of sweat.

Closing the door behind me, I finally release the breath I've been holding since engaging with the creepy doorman and snarky front desk lady that has made my life living hell everytime my ID card would malfunction. I still have thirty minutes or so until the building is buzzing with copy machines, ringing phones, endless chatter and the women in charge herself.

My office may be all of 250 square feet and lacking central air but this past year it's slowly become my safe haven. After being promoted to secretary, moving a couple floors higher wasn't the only perk of my new job. Along with a pay raise, I was granted permission to decorate the new space as I see fit. My walls were painted a soft beige color so it only made sense I went for the neutral tone vibe with a touch of greenery to compensate for the lack of nature in the bustling city of Chicago.

Maybe if I just close my eyes for one, two...minutes. Hell, three wouldn't hurt.

"Winters!" The door to my office practically slams open as I blink repeatedly in order to recover my vision from any signs of sleep.

"I'm a-awake! I mean yes, yes Mrs.Sterling." I straighten my back and cover the deep wrinkle lines of sleep attached to my skin with my sleeve.

"Ms.Winters, what papers did I have you deliver on my desk last week Tuesday at noon?" She's wearing a dress, a goddamn navy blue dress with pearls and heels. Her usual slicked back ponytail is replaced with a fro almost similar to mine. This could only mean one thing. Someone important was coming into town and I was just caught drooling on my desk.

I might as well have been out of a job.

"You're divorce settlement." I wince to myself but my face remains neutral on the outside.

"Hmm, interesting that you recall." The pit in my stomach only deepens. "So, you would assume I no longer go by my adulterous husband's last name anymore. Wouldn't you, darling?"

"Yes, o-of course. I apologize, Rosalind."

The door closes and she barely spares me a second glance as she walks out of the secreterorial office adjacent to her grand conference room. Through the glass panes, I watch her take a seat in the executive chair designated for the CEO and pick up the phone exactly at the same time it rings.