𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟑𝟎 { Spoken Promises }

"𝙸𝚝'𝚜 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚋𝚎𝚌𝚊𝚞𝚜𝚎 𝚗𝚘 𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚎𝚕𝚜𝚎 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎𝚜 𝚜𝚎𝚗𝚜𝚎."
~~~

𝐙𝐚𝐜𝐡'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

"Your hits are sloppy, tighten up." Miles shouts in a slightly serious tone.

It was rare to see him that way but I was in his territory now. Covered in sweat, physically drained while trying to keep the racing thoughts about her at bay.

It felt impossible at that moment.

I see Ezra in the corner trying to hold back his laugh as a snort left his mouth accidentally.

"Shut up." I grumbled but I do as he says, lifting my arms to block my chest and upper chin and rotate the gloves I'm using forty five degrees. On any other day I would've had his ass pinned to the ground after that comment but I brushed it off, surprising Miles and myself.

Miles doesn't let up by two stepping around the ring prepared to make his next move. He was damn near a pro at this and I wondered why he wasn't making this a serious career.

I barely miss his punch as I duck swiftly and smirk back in his direction.

"You've gotten better," I huff in between breaths. My stamina wasn't letting up as I kept my arms locked and firm in case he decided to make another move.

Miles shrugs, cracking his head from side to side. "Are you flirting with me? I thought you'd save a whole lot of that for last night."

I visibly tense at his words and mask my face immediately to hide my expression but I can tell the idiot saw right through me.

"Have no idea what you're talking about."  I dismiss him.

What am I doing?

Thinking back to the events of last night makes my heart flutter like I was in the third grade with a stupid crush.

Kissing Sage was better than I imagined. What am I even saying? It was greater than a couple of dreams I've had lately. I didn't want it to be a one time thing but knowing the fragile state between our families could ruin us only made this situation harder.

Yet I was willing to try this

Whatever this was

I aim my next unexpected jab to his face, particularly his right side but Miles blocks it, using his left arm to counterattack my attacking one, ending my move altogether. I stumble back briefly and try to regain my footing. But it was too late.

At the last second, Miles throws a jab to the center of my abdomen completely catching me off guard. Hunching over, I let the hit take me along with his next statement.

"You know I'm not stupid, right?" Miles stops hopping on his toes and drops his hands to his side. "You gave it away the second you walked in here."

The second I walked in? Today was no different than my usual routine. I may have woken up less grumpier than usual and didn't cringe when I first saw myself in the mirror but that doesn't mean anything. I drove to the gym, scanned my card at the front desk where I greeted Danny, the female receptionist. Along with making my way downstairs to warm up for the day.