𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟐𝟔 { The Brink of Death }

"𝙰 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝙸 𝚠𝚊𝚜𝚗'𝚝 𝚎𝚡𝚙𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚒𝚗."
~~~

𝐙𝐚𝐜𝐡'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I hate parties

Every aspect of them that college students seemed to adore.

Sticky bodies too close for comfort, desperate frat boys looking for quick fuck and couples groping each other in the corner of a room as if they didn't have a pregnancy scare three weeks ago. It's played out. College is played out. So I have no idea why I'm standing besides Miles attempting to down his fifth shot of the night.

But there was nothing worse than being here knowing I haven't seen one particular face in almost four weeks.

And it's worse knowing I was to blame.

"Dude, get out of your head and have some fun." Miles said over the loud music as I took a step back from the busty blonde who clearly was trying to start something I had no interest in. She flipped me off before I knew it and was back on the dance floor eyeing another dude who looked just as drunk. I looked away without giving the interaction a second thought.

"We have two different ideas of fun Miles and that's your final drink. We both know how you get after just three of those." I say, as he downs another glass of some light brown liquid.

"Don't judge. Bria is talking about going on a play date with some Tyler boy. I deserve this drink."

I chuckle at his over protectiveness of Bria but I know even in his shoes, I'd be the same exact way.

I and scan the crowd once again in hopes of seeing a familiar face but there's no luck. Miles notices my stuck up more than usual composure today but doesn't say anything about it, which I'm eternally grateful for. It's probably why I let him drag me to this poor excuse of a party the basketball team decided to throw mid season. If it was one thing those guys were good at was throwing a party the whole school seemed to attend.

One month of stolen glances, tense group sessions, and awkward encounters kept me up at all types of ungodly hours. I could see her heart break a little more as I ignored her attempts to talk to me and I felt like a class act dick. So when she stopped trying I gave up...completely.

"So by the way you're drunk out of your ass I'm assuming Victoria won't be making an appearance tonight." I subtly say trying not to find out if she was coming or not.

Miles doubles down in a fit of laughter as he wraps his arm loosely around me and I immediately knew he saw right through me.

"You're seriously not trying to fool me, are you?" He smirks a little too smugly for my liking. I avert my eyes from him once again so he doesn't as much as see my flustered state.

"Alright, alright I will pretend like I don't know the real reason you're asking." He pats my back twice as I open my mouth to speak but shut them immediately. "Vic's coming but she's running late. I don't know if Sage is though. I haven't really seen her around much." He frowns slightly.

"Yeah, same." I clear my throat after the sentence while Miles gives me a look before grabbing another beer bottle which I instantly take and put in a random guy's hand.

"Hey, I wanted that." He shouted, swatting my hand. Sometimes I couldn't tell the difference between him and Bria.

"I'm going to grab you a water bottle. Don't move." I say, looking around as he ignores me and steps in the middle of the dance floor.

I make my way through the crowd of people and my towering figure instantly opens the room. This is my first appearance at a party in almost a year so it's a shock to most that I'm even here. The room is dark but colorful lights sprint through the walls and ceilings as loud music plays from the large speakers in the common area.