𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟒𝟐 { We're Okay, I Promise }

"𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚖𝚎, 𝚛𝚎𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚖𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞."

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

The drive back home was soundless.

Between the full clouds and scrawny November trees, the sun was beginning to rise and eventually peek through the chestnut and apricot shaded leaves. The gusty winds made up for the empty sidewalks and just about every neighborhood house had poorly carved pumpkins lying out on the front porch. My head bobbed up and down against the car window as I looked through the side view mirror at my bloodshot eyes, which only served as a reminder of the last couple hours.

Though neither of us uttered a word to each other, Zachs right hand palmed my thigh the entire ride back. It was the last thing I remembered before falling asleep.

"Sage." A deep voice whispers.

My eyes lazily drift open and close once again as a justified yawn escapes my lips. Within a few minutes the car comes to a complete halt and the engine cuts off, making the already silent car even more depressing to be in.

"Hey." I whisper back, trying to get used to the raspiness of my voice.

I peel my eyes open to find us parked on the sidewalk and a BMW in our driveway. Confused, I reach for the door but Zachs already on my side of the car, holding it open, like always.

I step out and mutter a thank you before realizing Zach's arm was blocking me in. "Are we okay?" His apologetic gaze found mine with caution. "I'm sorry, Sage, for all of it. I didn't know how horrible she was or that she would cause something like this. Fuck Sage, I didn't even think she was alive let alone in a rehab center. When I meant closure I thought you were going to visit some cemetery to say your peace and all that shit people usually do to their dead loved ones. You don't have to go back there. Forget what I said about closure. I was being stupid and I hurt y-"

I pause his rant by grabbing both sides of his face and gently pressing my lips to his. The heat of the impact does mind torturing things to me.

Zach stumbles back from the unexpected force, before melting right into my arms, kissing me back with just as much passion and urgency, which felt like more than a simple I'm sorry to me. His hands don't stay still as they rest dangerously below my hip and loop into my belt buckle. I gasped at the coolness of his finger brushing along my bare skin as the intensity of our kiss prolonged. The ache I was feeling between my thighs snapped me right out of my thoughts as I pulled away for air and swallowed the invisible lump that had formed in my throat.

With closed eyes, Zachs head falls on my shoulder into the full pile of curls that were now blowing against his heated skin.

The sound of throat clearing snaps us both out of this electrifying daze and I peek over Zachs shoulder to find Victoria grinning from ear to ear. My eyes immediately roll with what seems to be the first smile on my face today.

I inch forward before Zach pulls away completely. "We're more than okay. I promise." I hear him release a breath of relief. "Talk later?" I propose.

His mouth comes to my ear. "Mhmm."

___

Before I can fully step inside the foyer and get a whiff of my dad's famous thanksgiving dishes, Vic drags me into a tight hug that I can't help but return. I squeeze my eyes shut in order to prevent the tears brimming at the corners.

"Zach told me to get here as fast as I could." She mumbled with the embrace.

I feel an overwhelming amount of emotion that Zach had thought of bringing Vic over. She was the only other person who knew what I was dealing with and wouldn't force me to talk about any of it no matter how curious she actually was. It's what I loved about our relationship.