Bonus #1

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I was folding onesies. Tiny adorable floral print footie pajamas that were once covered in green feces now smell of spring tide and dryer sheets.

The mountain of clean laundry at the foot of the king sized bed is a reminder of just that, once my eyes flicker open to a silent house.

Warm sunlight brewing between the translucent curtains and milk leaking from my swollen breast confirm my suspicions that I had overslept by one, maybe two hours. I closed my eyes for two seconds and here we are.

If I hadn't woken up from constant wails and mom guilt chewing me from the inside out, that could only mean one thing. The cluster feeding has finally stopped.

Exhaling into the lightweight comforter gives me a relief that I didn't know I needed. But as quick as my smile appears is as quick as it dims when I glance over to Zachariah's untouched side of the bed.

It has only been a couple of days since he's been away but it feels like forever when I don't wake up to him and Rayne staring down at me with their identical eyes.

The NFL season was in full effect, harboring the attention and time of every player in the league. As a seasoned athlete Zach's team heavily relied on his skills and experience to lead them to the playoffs. He had taken more than enough time off when Rayne was born but his contract was up for renewal next year and losing again this year wasn't an option.

The mahogany hardwood floor is cool beneath the soles of my feet. Even on the second floor of our custom built home, high ceilings and decorated cream walls stare back at me. Despite the cozy modern decor, this place was crawling with every kid friendly toy and stuffed animal you can imagine. Theres no doubt in my mind that Ezras bad spending habit rubbed off on Zach.

The lavender nursery door just across the hall is cracked open, immediately tugging at my parental instincts. I had left it closed because Rayne often woke when it slammed shut due to the wind.

Eleanor left two nights ago after helping around the house when chores began to pile up and there was no way an infant climbed out of her crib.

My suspicions came to a halt with a sharp inhale when I pushed the door ajar and saw the heart melting image painted in real time.

I take deliberately slow steps into the scene before me, hoping to engrain the picture in my mind that will hopefully last for a lifetime.

My fingers curl around the rainbow painted wooden bars of Raynes crib as I look inside to find Zachariah sleeping in an awkward position. His broad shoulders practically smushed together, toned legs hanging out and Rayne laying peacefully on his chest while her tiny little hands grip his T-shirt.

My heart nearly leaps out of my chest at the sight of our rainbow baby. Her rosy colored lips form into the smallest O causing a pool of drool to dampen the cotton fabric adorning his skin.

Zachs features are softened to their full extent and I begin to take notice of how similar the father and daughter look from this angle.

Victoria and Isabella argued Rayne would look more like me when she hit the toddler years but for now Rayne had displayed nothing but her fathers gray eyes and curved nose. Her hair was a unique mix of strawberry red and dark brown.