𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟔𝟐 { Hold On A Little Longer }

"𝙱𝚞𝚝 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚎𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜 𝚠𝚎 𝚔𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚞𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚋𝚊𝚌𝚔 𝚝𝚘 𝚑𝚊𝚞𝚗𝚝 𝚞𝚜."
~~~

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I didn't go home last night.

How could I when I spent every waking second thinking of him and now his stupid blazer was in the backseat of my car, reminding me of the restraints we held to walk away from each other.

Once I made the call to Dr. Paola, she opened up a slot for a last minute session and I spent another two hours in therapy for a man I thought I had gotten over. We talked about Elliot, who has been texting me nonstop since last night. Things were for sure going to be awkward between us now. There was no way we could go back to before he confessed his feelings and I was dreading what this actually meant for our friendship.

Then the topic drifted to Zachariah and how we felt like strangers with memories. When he got drafted to the NFL like I knew he would, my heart shattered and the guilt I felt because of it caused me to never look back.

I watched his public image skyrocket to heights I'd never even seen. He was everywhere. From tabloids, magazines, sports advertisements and brand endorsement deals. For three years I listened to endless conversation about Zachariah's success all around campus. It didn't just destroy me. It gave me a reason to take extra credits and graduate a year early.

Once I had calmed down to the point I could drive home, regret ran right through me and I went to therapy instead. Last night was a brief lapse in judgment. I can't believe after all the work I put in to make the Gala a success I just up and left.

Now I was here hoping I still had a job. I tap two times on the glass door, signaling my presence.

I hear a faint come in on the other side and I turn the knob, unaware Rosalind had a guest. "Sage, what are you doing here? It's Sunday and didn't you request a PTO?" She sounds much calmer than expected. But everyone knew there was always a calm before the storm.

The last thing I expected was for her to have company on a weekend and fuck me because it's Cora. She glances behind her shoulder and we make the most awkward eye contact to ever exist.

Zach must've told her unless the pictures from last night hadn't already.

I kept checking the internet to see if they had made any headlines but the media was pretty slow so far and I just hoped it stayed that way.

I step further inside the room but I'm still holding the door open. "Good morning, I forgot a few things back in my office. I'm just going to grab them and head out. But I also wanted to follow up on last night."

"You mean after you left before the night was even over? I got the message, loud and clear." Rosalind remarks, continuing to type patiently on the keyboard of her laptop. I know disappointment when I hear it. But I couldn't exactly explain the near panic attack I had because of the press to my boss.

Cora's apologetic eyes met mine like she knew the real reason behind my sudden departure. Ignoring her gaze, I straightened to respond. "I can come at a later time."

Rosalind nods firmly before continuing her conversation with Cora. There was all this paperwork, hushed whispers, and tension in the room before I arrived.