𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟐𝟒 { Still No Chance }

"𝙼𝚊𝚢𝚋𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚊 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚍 𝚖𝚎𝚊𝚗𝚝 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚖𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚜, 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚙𝚎𝚘𝚙𝚕𝚎."
~~~

𝐙𝐚𝐜𝐡'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

Waking up early in the morning should be considered a crime.

Yet here I was sweating my entire a off because Coach was in a pissy mood. The sun had barely risen as we practiced plays on the field. Morning practices were gruesome since everyone you knew was fast asleep and you've been up two hours before the crack of dawn.

"Last games win doesn't mean slack off in practice," Coach bellowed generously. He stood to the side, arms crossed with a stern expression on his face.

The guys picked up the pace as we ended the final laps in stride. During the last few minutes of practice things would get slow and Coach hated every minute of it. I picked up my speed while occasionally wiping the sweat from my face with the hem of my shirt.

Ezra who was now back on his feet ran beside me while everyone trailed behind. He wasn't breaking a sweat and I was starting to wonder who was recently injured and who wasn't. I sped up just to keep up with the dude.

"Trying to keep up Stone?" he says, looking to the side at me briefly.

I sent him a glare as he laughed it off continuing to run in front of me. I'm already in his tail as we erupt into a full on sprint, our competitiveness getting ahead of us.

"Alright, alright. Bring it in." Coach said, stopping us in our tracks.

We slow down and make our way to the middle of the field where we kneel and look up to Coach. We rarely stopped in the middle of practice. It was obvious everyone was curious as to why.

"As per Ms.Rayes a few of you did not bother with helping your partners write the pieces on you. In other words they were very lackluster. He looks around while his eyes stop on a few of the guys.

"She gave me a list of names and you all will know by the end of tomorrow since you will be coming in for an extra conditioning workout."

No one dares to move. But we're all thinking the same thing. Who was he referring to?

Sages paper was shit to begin with but I made sure to revise the football aspects that same night in the hotel. I knew our paper couldn't have been the few he was talking about. Even if it was, the arcade game I gave her access to should help. But I was wary she wouldn't even bother using it after my stupid excuse of an attempt at acting on how I felt.

"May I remind each and every one of you, this is an amazing opportunity, which can help get you exposure with scouts. Please take advantage of it. You are dismissed." He finishes while everyone nods.

"Hey you know a freshman named Sage." Ezra asks beside me. I stiffen at his words but nod in response. "She's supposed to be my partner for this Newspaper club thing," he adds.

"She's taken. Find someone else."

He eyes me weirdly before taking a few seconds to connect the dots. A smirk plastered on his face and I silently groaned.

"My fault man. I didn't know she was yours." He says with a hint of amusement.

That's the thing.