𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟐𝟖 { Text Messages Don't Lie }

"𝙸 𝚌𝚊𝚗'𝚝 𝚝𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚋𝚊𝚌𝚔 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚑𝚞𝚛𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚊𝚞𝚜𝚎𝚍."
~~~

𝐙𝐚𝐜𝐡'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

The front door of my deserted three story home creaks open as I unlock it for the first time in months.

Dust coats the entryway like a second skin and it's obvious my father hasn't been back here in a while. Maybe even months. Between running his own firm and spontaneous getaway trips with Karol I knew I wouldn't run into him anytime soon.

That's why I'm here

I step further into the massive living room, before I see the last happy picture of us standing tall on the very end of the coffee table. Right before everything changed. The edges stoned in a gold like material as a smile graces the features of mom, Kelsey, my father and I hit me like a truck with failing brakes.

It's the same photo I carry in my wallet everyday.

Upon seeing Kelsey, my mind drifts to the last conversation Sage and I had. I would be lying if I said it wasn't consuming my mind every second of the day.

Because a part of me already knew her words held the truth I've been trying to deny.

After mom died Kelsey became numb to any and everyone. Losing the only parent she had left did something to her that even I can't describe.

She no longer cared about her actions and how it would affect the ones around her. I saw it firsthand when she stopped visiting mom's grave.

"Zach?"

I turn around at the feminine voice as an unsettling feeling ripples through me.

Karol stood by the door as one of the drivers rolled in two suitcases before shutting the door behind him.

"We just got back from London but your father stopped by the office beforehand," she confirms as I cautiously look around.

We've never spoken more than two words to each other so I'm surprised when her words put me at ease.

I finally took a second to look at the woman who had supposedly taken my mothers spot. To say the resemblance is uncanny was an understatement. Besides the sky blue color covering her irises and the honey brown bob cut, it's no surprise she takes after my mother. Just a much younger version.

That son of a bitch

"Zach, are you listening," she interrupts my justified thoughts.

"Right," I cleared my throat finally looking away and in the direction of the spiral stairs leading to my intended destination.

The silence is swallowing us whole until I hear a shallow sigh.

"You know—I'm glad you decided to come back," she smiled weakly.

"I'm just here to pick up a few things. I'd like it if you didn't tell my father I was here." I respond, a bit abruptly, that she's taken back.

"Or that we talked," I add for precaution.

"Oh- of course," she pauses briefly. "But I know he just wants the best for you and your sister Zach. I hope you and Kelsey will join us for Thanksgiving later this month."