𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟓𝟔 { Do You Solemnly Swear }

"𝙷𝚎'𝚜 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚏𝚎𝚌𝚝 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚑𝚎'𝚜 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝙸 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝."
~~~

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

For a moment I'm not entirely sure where I am.

It takes a couple of seconds to register the camera's flashing lights blinding me and the throbbing ache pulsating back and forth through my temple before I can scrutinize my surroundings.

My head is on a continuous swivel as I put a hand up to shield my own eyes from the journalist holding microphones and recorders towards the bottom of my chin.

Kelsey stands just a few feet down, casting worried glances in my direction while my face practically pleads for help.

As bad as I wanted her to use her reckless mouth to get them to piss off like she's done countless times before, I knew right now it was best we kept our distance.

"Ms. Winters, are you hopeful of the court's decision today?" A reporter pushes up against my shoulder with clear determination in her path, my body lurches over at the contact.

"Ms. Winters, will you take the stand against your former agent, Ms. Vincent?" A camera the size of a football nearly connects to my forehead and the hired security guards have to shove people away in order for us to see the double doors up ahead.

We're nearly there I say to myself, trying to tune out the fifty million questions getting thrown at me left and right. "How has your boyfriend taken the news? I'm sure he won't leave New York till this has all settled."

I don't need to look in the mirror to know all the color had drained from my face.

Now that Zachariah's transfer news has spread rampant across campus, news outlets have gotten ahold of the information as well.

It's been two weeks and the knot in my chest can't seem to untie itself.

Vic notices the way my expression closed up and immediately runs a comforting hand across my shoulder. I give her a forced smile in which she returns a genuine one.

Once we get inside, the guards lead us to a more private room, that's just down the hall from where the actual hearing would be taking place. It's small but there's a couch, coffee machine and table adjacent to the windows overlooking the busy city of Manhattan.

As soon as the doors close Vic loses her cool like I expected. "Those fucking idiots. I want to rip every one of their tiny little di—

"Ms. Winters control your entourage." My blank faced attorney walks in, stopping Vic mid sentence before dropping his briefcase on the desk in front of me. He was pissed. Someone tipped off the press and as the headlines outlined my name with rumors, lies and theories, they were outlining him as well. Something tells me he thinks we're going to lose today.

A hand touches my shoulder and a shiver runs down my spine gearing towards hope. I spin on my heel and my expectations go down the drain.

What did you expect Sage? That he would still come to support you even though you broke his heart.

My heart says yes but my mind only disagrees