𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟓𝟗 { Take the Risk }

"𝙷𝚎'𝚜 𝚐𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝙸 𝚏𝚎𝚕𝚝 𝚒𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎, 𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚋𝚎𝚗𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚑 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚖𝚢 𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚜𝚝."
~~~

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

"Remind me again why you're still working for that woman." I could hear her intentional eye roll through the phone.

For the first five minutes of our daily phone call, I filled Vic in on what's been going on at the office and let's just say she's not at all pleased with Rosalind's last minute demand and I knew why.

Every authoritative figure in my life have taken advantage of me in some shape or form. Vic is super aware of the fact and hell bent on making sure it never happens again.

So was I, but I knew when I accepted this job it wasn't going to be easy.

When Rosalind said I would be planning the entire event, my first thought was that she must be crazy or better yet, insane to hand over a responsibility as big as that to an inexperienced secretary.

This event could determine the future of many college graduates like myself who are interested in journalism but lack the personal connections to move up the ladder.

I was lucky enough that Ms. Rayes saw something in me to even write a recommendation letter on my behalf for my Urban Scope Internship application.

"Vic, you know why." I sigh. "She's the only black female CEO in her field. I can learn a lot from her if I want to have my own journalism company one day."

"That doesn't mean you have to take her shit. I mean six days to plan an entire Gala, Sage. It's like she's setting up to fail and being an eleven-hour plane ride away doesn't give me enough room to help out."

Victoria was currently studying art in one of Paris's prestigious art schools. After finally standing her ground on quitting ballet she began filling our dorm with canvases.  She even went over to Tristan's for advice and the two of them worked on many art pieces together. With many inspiration to follow, her art portfolio captured the attention of many universities abroad.

"Don't worry, I have this all figured out." I swipe through the pages of my notepad until I reached the to do list. "Let's see the venue has already been reserved for the day prior and the day of the event, I've sent the decorators the color pallets to go with the gold and black theme and I have until tonight to finalize the menu for the caterers. All that's left for me to do is go over the talking points with Rosalind and make sure all the athletes are in attendance."

"Do you have a list of which athletes are attending?" I knew by the tone of her voice she was just itching to ask.

"The list hasn't been finalized but I'd assume some pretty big ones." I cut straight to the point, not paying attention to the brief flutter in my stomach.

Sports was truly never my thing but with Syracuse being a Division One University, most, if not all of our newspaper articles touched on games, athletes, and their season stats. At one point I was giving random players in the halls tips on how they could improve. I earned a few harsh glares but in the end, a few of them did put my advice into practice.

"Well, let me know the minute you find out."

"Don't you have a boyfriend to facetime?" I subtly try to change the subject and by the deep sigh I get in return, I know it works.