𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟐𝟕 { Revealed Truths }

"𝙵𝚘𝚛 𝚊 𝚜𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚍 𝙸'𝚖 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚍 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚝𝚛𝚞𝚝𝚑."
~~~

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

Beep

Beep

Beep

The monotone sounds of the machine near me continues to ring though my ears, awakening me at last.

As much as it pains me to face these blinding white lights, I slowly peel my eyes open. My head throbs violently with every blink I take, that somewhat eases my headache and worsens it at the same time.

The ceiling is pale white and free of any cracks or peeling paint. It's the only thing I can focus on besides the quiet room I currently feel trapped in.

I take a second to look around and my eyes fixate on Vic fast asleep in the chair beside me, along with vases of flowers covering every bare surface in the room.

I groan at the pain shooting up my sides as I try to sit up with as little noise as possible. The sound leaving my mouth awakens Victoria from her sleep.

"Sage," Vic croaked while wiping the sleep from her eyes. Dressed in loungewear she'd only wear at home, Vic quickly comes to my side to help me adjust. "Hey, you need to take it easy."

Her voice is laced with concern and unlike every other day, her voice isn't bubbly and carefree. Her face is bare and slightly flushed as she looks to the ceiling briefly, letting the tears well back into her eyes. It's rare to see her like this and knowing I caused this brought a heavy sense of guilt onto my shoulders.

"Vic," I begin.

"Don't please— she sucks in a breath before muttering "just don't, Sage. I'm going to call the doctor and let Nick know you're awake." She says tiredly before walking towards the door.

Her reaction overwhelms me knowing I had once again broken my promise. I couldn't keep doing this to the people I loved even if I was getting the results I desired.

"Wait, my dad is here. Who... I mean why," I stumble over my words, groggy and unprepared for this news.

"I called him."

Soon after she leaves, the door to my room slams open and it's my father in his classic light blue nurse scrubs. The pained expression on his face instantly breaks me. It's a mix between regret and guilt, none of which he should be feeling right now.

"You don't know how scared I was," he mumbles, hugging me gently. He looks worned out between his age catching up with him and all the daily stresses of my life he has to deal with back at home.

"I'm sorry," I choke back a sob. "But I'm okay." I assure him.

He smiles but it doesn't reach his eyes at all.

I don't know why I expect them to.

"Are you?" Dad says looking back at me.

"I want to fix this." I say, half confident in my words.

"And I promise we will. I'll get things sorted with the lawyer next week. I'm not waiting anymore and you can't either." Somehow I already knew what he was going to say next. "Kelsey needs to know we're bringing her to court if this contract isn't broken sweetheart."