𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟐𝟐 { Recovered Childhood }

"𝙸 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎𝚗'𝚝 𝚛𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚖𝚗𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞."
~~~

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

We argued the whole way here. I mean full on banter, shoulder swats and name calling until I finally gave up.

He wasn't going to tell me where we were heading or why Kelsey was MIA.

As we made our way out of the dark secluded highway bright multicolored lights flashed entrancing me before I could even fixate my eyes on any specific rides or games.

A large ferris wheel stood tall, letting me know we were in fact at a carnival. I could hear high pitched screams from nearby rides that barely looked stable enough for a safety inspection.

Thanks to the window rolled all the way down, I inhaled the smell of cheap popcorn and over-flavored cotton candy, which caught my stomach's attention due to it now growling for food.

Zach looks over for a mere second before digging in the compartment beside him. He holds up a mini pack of fruit snacks and I take them without hesitation.

I guess this was some sort of truce.

"Someone's hungry," he rested his free hand near the accelerator, inches away from my exposed thighs, while the other controlled the wheel.

"Shut up. My stomach just has an attitude." I lift my hips pulling my skirt down further down. I see a flicker of amusement glimmer in his eyes at my reaction.

I picked out every flavor but the orange ones because those tasted like expired gummy vitamins my mother used to give me.

Don't ask

Soon the sound of the engine disappears and Zach rushes to get out. I'm confused at first but then I see his towering figure coming across to my side of the car. The door opens and he blocks my view so I can adjust my skirt that seems to rise every five seconds.

I hated wearing these things.

Nodding a small thanks, I follow behind him and we both walk in silence to the ticket booth. His hands lightly hover over the small of my back and I shiver under his touch.

It was windy. Today was cold. That's what I kept telling myself.

This place was packed despite it being literally in the middle of nowhere.

We walk through the makeshift looking gates of Molly's Traveling Carnival entrance and the sight is sadly new to me.

But I don't want to ruin my first experience at anything remotely fun like this so I push the thought to the back of my head for later. This wasn't the time to reminisce on old failed childhood moments.

"Excuse me, I'd like to play one round of this game." I say to the guy reorganizing the stand from the people who had just left.

He turns around with a glum look on his face but slowly a grin breaks out on both of our faces as we recognize each other.

"No effing way. Sage Winters at a carnival. I thought I'd never seen the day." His mouth gapes open as he looks me up and down to make sure it's really me.