𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟐𝟓 { Mother Dearest }

"𝙸'𝚕𝚕 𝚜𝚞𝚛𝚟𝚒𝚟𝚎. 𝚂𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚑𝚘𝚠 𝙸 𝚊𝚕𝚠𝚊𝚢𝚜 𝚍𝚘."
~~~

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

"Sage for the last time you're going to be late."

I lift the duvet from the entirety of my body and bring my arms up to block the shining sun from the open blinds I swore I shut the night before.

Memories from last night flood my mind and a small smile covers my face. Although I don't remember the last time I've gotten a full night's sleep, yesterday was definitely worth it. My smile quickly disappears as I hear heavy footsteps make their way upstairs and in the direction of my room.

"I'm up, you don't have to yell." I use my elbows to lift the upper half of my body. "Where's Niko?"

Usually my three year old brother would tackle me awake with his toy action figures that would leave bruises on my body but today I was greeted with the exact opposite.

A brooding mother

"If you hadn't gone to that school dance with Victoria you wouldn't be so tired." She scolded me from my bedroom door.

The distaste on her voice was evident. I enjoyed myself last night. Probably too much in her eyes because every minute I wasn't working was a missed opportunity for a quick cash grab.

"Niko?" I question again. It's almost as if she forgot he existed these days.

"He's at your grandma's. Now get ready. I won't say it again."

Her golden hair was let down in waves and she dressed in form fitting attire as if she was the client being interviewed for a shot in Major Models Inc in a few hours. Freckles I had inherited covered her face and so did pounds of unnecessary makeup. Her fair skin looked beautiful in any light, unlike my textured teenage skin.

She used this time to rummage through my closet, picking out one of my most expensive dresses I had been gifted over the years.

She placed it over her body while looking in the mirror while I sat up and watched. Her smile was infectious but I had never been graced with one of them when we were alone.

In a split second a completely different dress was laid out on my bed as she left the room without sparing me as much as a glance.

Once I heard the clicking of her heels hit the last step downstairs I sighed while dropping my body back onto the bed.

I blink thinking nothing of it as a couple tears trickle down my sunken cheeks that long for my mother's affection.

I missed the days when we felt like an actual family. But ever since Dad's departure it's hardly felt anything close to it.

Finally snapping back into reality, I used the remaining time to take a quick shower and brush my teeth. The bobby pins having a party in my brain also had to go as I let down my thousandth silk press of the year. At this rate my hair was fighting for its life everytime I pulled out a flat iron.

"Smile beautiful!" My mother cheesed behind the camera . The man who stood beside her angled the lense up to his eye as a clicking sound echoed throughout the room. A few people in suits beside him nod and begin writing down notes.

Our ride here was filled with complete silence but as soon as the car pulled up to the clear glass building she was a completely different person.

Her eyes shined brighter and I don't think I've seen her smile as big till this moment. I had a tinge of hope that my success so far had put it there but it was evident that wasn't the case.