𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟔𝟒 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟐 { Beach Makeups }

Warning: Chapter will contain sexual content recommended for ages 17+

Continuation of Last Chapter

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

The front door of the two story home slams open, causing me to jerk upwards at the vibration echoing down the walls of the empty dark house. I curse at myself realizing the only reason the house is pitch black is because the sun had set and it was now seven at night.

Blinking the sleep away, I stand on my feet just in time for the door to my room to barge open without my permission.

Zach is standing there, face flushed, eyes glazed over while his chest rises as fast as my heart beats in his presence. When our eyes meet, I see the relief wash over his hardened features.

He strides across the guest room before I have a chance to speak, resisting the urge to come any closer.

I notice that his hair is now cut like it was when we first met four years ago. The unruly black strands no longer have the length to be pulled together by an elastic band.

"You left the beach without saying a word to anyone." His tone is hard but then it softens. "I have been searching every corner of town for you."

"I saw someone from the press hiding in the bushes with a camera. I needed to leave so I did." I say vaguely. My brows furrowed as I said this next part quietly. "I didn't think anyone would care if I left."

What I meant to say: I didn't think you would care if I left.

The defeating silence doesn't linger about, instead it sits in the air like it has no place else to go.

Zachs head dipped as he sighed heavily. "Everyone sees it except you. How can you not see it?" His eyes snaked down my center, making me want to cover myself.

"See what?" I verbalize. "And why do you even care? You're fine. God, look at you. You're fine, Zach." Anger pricked my skin because he had just played on the beach like I didn't even exist and now he was playing the part of a worried ex, friend—whatever he and I were at this point.

"You think I'm fine?!" Zach frustratedly shakes his head, kicking the ajar door shut. My heart hammered inside my chest at his words right as he continued. "Is that what you've been thinking this whole time? That I'm fine even after last night." It hurts when I hear his voice crack. "I am the complete opposite of fine. Fine isn't never being able to look at other women the same after you. Fine isn't wishing every night you would've fought for me, for us. Fine isn't regretting getting on that damn airplane four years ago. God, Sage—fine isn't counting down the seconds until we can be together again." His tired gaze roams my face for a reaction.

I'm unbelievably still, with no breath left circulating in my lungs.  Zach's confession doesn't stop there and I can't imagine what he'll reveal next after all of that. "I am not fine because you have single handedly ruined me, Sage. He takes a crackling last breath, whispering. "For anyone else who isn't you."

The words I want to say somehow run out. How am I supposed to push him away when every fiber in my body wants to pull him closer.

Zachariah steps forward until our bodies are flushed against one another.

I don't step back.