𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟏𝟗 { Game Night }

"𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚊𝚕𝚖 𝚒𝚗 𝚖𝚢 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚖."
~~~

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

The art of pretending.

As humans we're good at it. Making sure something that made us uncomfortable, tense, and even giddy never happens again without warning.

It's a natural instinct, so I don't blame either of us for not uttering a word to each other for the past couple of hours.

We were here for a game.

That was all

Mrs. Rayes spoke, interrupting my thoughts, "As acting journalist for today you all will be observing your partner on the field, critiquing their every move. She pointed towards the bare field then continued, "What you liked? Disliked? Things they could be better at. Remember this is an opportunity for you all to get familiar with the sport for future projects."

We were currently sitting in the partially filled stands as students from the other school piled into the large stadium. Groups of friends, couples and staff amongst them.

I kept my eyes on the field, waiting for the guys to show up for their practice throws and drill runs but mainly to see Zach in his element.

For the project of course

"Girl, we are so lucky we got the football team this year." Izzy beams taking a seat beside me, a bag of snacks in her hands.

"Are we really?" I ask.

"Trust me you wouldn't want to be stuck with soccer or even worse— cross country," she adds shuddering at a memory.

Zach wouldn't think so

Despite the long and tiring bus ride Izzy looked refreshed in her black cami and flared skirt. Just about ready for anything to take place tonight. Trying to conceal my identity, I looked quite the opposite.

"You didn't look too happy about your partner," I responded, giving her a look. I noticed the boy she was paired with could barely keep his eyes open and looked disoriented on his way to the bus.

She rolls her eyes then says, "AJ and I have some work to do but that's the least of my concerns. You gonna tell me what you and our wide receiver are about?"

"Wide receiver?" I question. My knowledge on the positions and who played them were scarce and I was trying my best to learn them in time for the game that would soon be starting, with my phone open to google.

"Zach is the team's number one wide receiver. You know, the player that catches the ball and runs to the end zone."

Interesting could've pegged me for the cocky quarterback type.

I nod writing that down so I don't forget and Izzy laughs beside me. "Don't tell me you sat with him for five hours and didn't even get what position he played."

I hardly remembered the ride. It was all coming back to me in pieces and I had no idea why. We briefly  talked about the questions. Then dad texted me and next thing I knew I was fast asleep, nowhere near Zachs big head.