𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟑𝟓 { Too Early For Mishaps }

"𝙰 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚜𝚙𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚜 𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚒𝚝'𝚜 𝚋𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚏𝚕𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚍 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚜𝚘𝚛𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚜."
~~~

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

There was a crack in my chest.

It was growing each longing second and filling my heart with a hollowness even I couldn't describe.

The walk across campus midday was unusually quiet between the two of us. Hand in hand Zach and I walked back to my dorm as people pierced holes into our backs and whispered ever so loudly that I was ungrateful, a whore, using Zach to hurt Kelsey and much more that I didn't have the courage to store in the forefront of my mind.

Zach completely lost his cool at the whore comment but Ezra and a few guys from the team nearby made sure to keep him in check.

"Another fight and you're done, Stone."

"Pull it together. Don't let it win."

"She's watching."

Those words rang through my head like pounding headache eating away at my frontal lobe.

Another fight?

I knew Zach had issues with his anger but I never knew how bad until only just a few moments ago. Even my pleads couldn't stop his deadly strides to the student who had made a comment about my sex life.

He had squeezed my hand so tight I don't think he even noticed it hurt me until I pulled away fearfully.

"Sage." He says with a hint of caution.

"Maybe it's best if I walk back on my own."

"I want-"

"No." I lift my hand up to stop him from continuing just like I had done to Kelsey a day ago. "You should rest up anyway. You guys have a big game tomorrow."

"Right." His hands dig deeper into his pockets as he head falls shamefully. So much regret is written all over his expression that it causes me to look away.

My heavy footsteps carry me past him and our shoulders brush up against each other lightly. I feel Zach tense at the second of close proximity that we just shared as I head into the direction of my dorm building.

The walk is dreadful.

Why does it feel like we were on the verge of a break just before we could even start?

I debate turning my head around but at the very last second before I get too far, I do.

The image is daunting and I can't seem to get the picture out of my head. No matter how many times I blink, I see it. I see him.

Zach is still standing there, watching me and only now do I determine the crack in my chest was actually a fracture ripped right through my heart.

___

"Where the hell have you been?" I hear the words before I shrug off the lengthy trench coat off my body, one arm after the other. My hair is a coily mess, thrown into an excuse of a ponytail at the back of my head.

Vic immediately left her right split position in the middle of the living room floor and walked to where I was standing. She was currently in a black leotard with white tights underneath surrounded by a slew of textbooks and chinese takeout.

As she approaches me her eyes immediately go wide and I already know why.

I still smell like him.

His room. His clothes. His bed. Every aspect of him was still glued to me including the bruised marks on my neck and chest that were thankfully covered.