Dancing in the rain

Everyone cheered as their lips locked. Dixie looked over at Noah and Riley they were laughing and smiling and cheering. As the wedding party began Dixie couldn't enjoy herself. All she could think about was Noah. He was dancing with his sister but he was still having fun still happy without her.

The party stopped when it started to rain. People went home Dixie stayed to help clean up, that was until she saw Noah leaving. Riley had left an hour ago. 

"Hey, Noah wait up."

She said running out of the church the party was held at to catch up to him. 

He kept walking, even moved a bit faster. The rain can down faster. harder. "Noah." 

"What Dixie what do you want to say to me. Sorry for not feeling what you feel" 

"I wanted to say sorry."

They were yelling at each other now in the rain. 

"I don't want your apology, Dixie, I know what I did was risky and I blame myself for ruining our friendship but you can't expect me to move on to pretend I didn't try and kiss you."

"I'm not asking you to pretend or forget I'm just asking for time." 

"How much time a week, 3, a month, 2 months, a year, I like you Dixie but I have a life I have work I don't know if I have time to wait."

"So that's it you want us to be strangers?"

Dixie was standing really close to him now their breaths vanishing into each other's faces. "No, but--" "You want us to go back to not knowing each other you want me to forget my first real friend." Dixie refused to lose Noah's gaze she was trying to read him to find out what he was thinking what he was feeling.

She could hear his heartbeat through the rain. It was loud, hard suspenseful as if it was trying to say something different than his mouth. "I don't want to lose you, I just don't think we can be friends." He broke their eye contact."Noah look at me." Dixie said softly, her hand lightly touching the tie he was wearing. It was soaked. Noah shook his head "I have to go, I'll see you toma--" "Look at me, Noah." Her voice was still soft as she grabbed his face in her hands forcing their eyes to meet.

"If you want me to kiss you you better speak up now," Dixie whispered holding his face and their gaze and this moment in her heart. Noah wasted no time meeting her lips with a moment so soft and fast and so and surreal Dixie almost missed it. 

almost. 

The rain hit their bodies as they kissed and Dixie for the first time in a long time felt free and happy and like she had the world in the palm of her hand. Their lips and hands and hearts moved so symmetrically like it was always going to happen like they'd been doing it for years. Noah tasted like strawberries and pancakes and vanilla and coffee and everything Dixie was learning to love. Dixie tasted like home. To Noah she tasted safe like his hands on her waist was the only way to breathe to live. He had never felt like this before and he didn't want to not with anyone but Dixie.

"I've always wanted to do that."

 Noah said when they finally pulled their lips apart both dying to meet each other's lips again to feel each other's hearts so close their lips so close. "me too." Dixie said placing her ear to his cheat listening to his heartbeat. 

"Dance with me."

Noah said putting his hand out for her to take it. She didn't move her head when she grabbed his soft soft hand.

"You want to dance in the rain with me?"

"until the day I die."