deathly

Noah just stood there, and Dixie slowly realized he was holding back his tears. She didn't know what she was doing, why her first instinct was to pull him into a hug.

She held him because he needed someone right now. Because he was hurting. Because she was sorry. Dixie didn't like having to apologize it felt weird to her, vulnerable. Noah didn't like being hurt in front of people it destroyed his masculinity something he takes pride in, but standing in his doorway in his girlfriend's arms it felt safe, it felt like something he didn't know he needed all this time.

She felt him start crying. The tears hitting her sweatshirt. He pulled away before she could hold him tighter. She didn't want him to be embarrassed. She just wanted him to feel better. To know she was there for him.

He sat on the couch his hands holding his eyes as he cried. She sat next to him. She could hear him mumble something.

"he was my best friend"

"Who babe."

He didn't stop crying, just said random words.

"He just got married...."

"Noah."

"It's all my fault... I- I"

"No no Noah."

She hugged him again.

"I killed him." He was balling, his head resting on her thigh. As Dixie tried her best to put the pieces together.

"Who, Noah what is-"

He cried harder and she finally understood.

"Nate?" she whispered

"Is Nate dead?"