Part 64

Life is so unpredictable and unfair as well.

Never did Nandini thought that a day would come when she would be standing motionless with scared heart in front of an operation theatre and praying. The nearly deserted corridor with just three or four people roaming, was giving her silent jitters.

She recalled what happened five hours back that shook her to death.

"Hello"

" Am I speaking with Ms. Nandini Moorthy?"

In delimma Nandini replied getting a call from unknown number that too in this late night. Her mind is poking her about something bad.

" Yes, it's her. Who am I speaking with?"

The person from the other side asked "Mam, do you know Mr. Naren Moorthy?"

Listening her father's name whom she had no contact with for long time,  shocked her. So with utter confusion she murmured
" Ye.....es, that's my fa.....ther "

" Mam, I request you to come down to Pune City general hospital immediately. Your father is admitted here due to a road accident this evening. You are the only one listed  as his family member in his records. We have to operate on him on urgent basis.  "

Hearing this Nandini felt blank. A complete blank. A pool of tears met her cheeks silently.

Getting no response from her, the hospital staff again continued
" Mam, please come as soon as possible, we need family consent for the surgery and other hospital formalities. "

Still getting no response for another few minutes, the staff said little louder  " Are you with me in this call, Ms. Nandini? "

That broke her strance and she asked
"Ohh yyeess.  So...rry. What happened? How's he now? "

" He is in critical state. I request you to come immediately so that we can start the procedures. " Stating the staff hung up the call leaving a baffled crying Nandini.

Sriya was waiting for her friend to finish her call so that they could sleep. But it was already very late and Nandini was still in the attached balcony. So, she got up from bed to look for her.

But as soon as she saw Nandini's pale tear coated face staring blankly the phone in her hand, she rushed to her and asked "Nandu, what happened? "

All she could utter was " Appa.... My dad"

Sriya understood it might be something to do with her father. So she enquired again " What happened? Did he call? Tell me Nandu. Calm down first. "

Nandini then hold herself getting her best friend's support and uttered with difficulties
" My father met with an accident. He is hospitalized. Hospital staff called. I have to go there fast. "

Sriya understood the emergency and being the composed one,  she helped Nandini to get changed quickly along with her and then they woke up Abhi to rush to the hospital which was forty minutes driving from her place due to no traffic in the mid night time.

In that all rucksack, Nandini completely missed the few messages from Manik.

As soon as they reached the hospital, she rushed to her father. Seeing her father so pale draped in bandages and unconscious, broke her heart. She missed her father dearly but she couldn't find the courage to call him again after he stopped answering her calls one and half year back. She so wanted to reach out to him and tell him that her dream came true. She met the love of her life and she was immensely happy. She so wanted to tell him that how much she was missing him. But, her father had completely cut all ties with her.