16.

He knitted his eyebrows together, glancing at her figure who sat on the hard rock

He knitted his eyebrows together, glancing at her figure who sat on the hard rock. "Well I think you should be asking me the opposite." He said, staring at the scenic view ahead him.

"Oh." She said awkwardly, picking her nails. "Why? Did you get scared from your nightmare?" He teased, craning his head to the side.

Humming, Yenmi rubbed her eyes with her hand, the drowsiness showing. "It felt too real." She muttered, biting her inner cheek.

He scoffed out a dry chuckle, playing with his lip ring. "Maybe it was, you probably died in it." He said quiet bluntly.

An impassive expression rested on her face as she shot the Demon an icy glare. "It doesn't concern you whether I died or not."

He shrugged, really not concerned. "Funny how a Phoenix is scared of a nightmare."

::  Earlier —

The older female had a nefarious frown on her face, she lacked of any mercy at all. The younger boy was trembling, flinching with every word his supposed mother spat.

An evil smile that betrayes all innocence was on full display, terrifying the poor child even more. "Darling, you know how much I love you, right?" She asked, sending shivers down his spine.

Getting no response from her son, she slapped him across the face, her ring leaving a scar on his cheek. Without realising, he began hyperventilating.

"Answer me Huang Renjun!" She yelled.

He swallowed the lump in this throat, nodding. "You never do anything right." She scoffed, running her fingers through her long, black hair.

The seven year old boy had done nothing to deserve this, he was just finishing his homework when his mother started yelling at him. "You should've learnt from your father, he was so smart and perfect before he.." She trailed off, her voice becoming vulnerable.

"But he's not my dad.." The small boy mumbled. How could he consider this man as his father, he had barely even met him properly.

"Oh shut up! I'll lock you in with him!" She threatened, her veins bulging out.

Her jaw clenched, mouth dry, she bored holes into the boy's skull. Rage nearly consumed her as she pushed his head up with her fingers to look at her.

"So now you're crying? Have I told you how weak you look when you cry?" She said in disbelief, rolling her eyes. He felt his blood boil, feeling the heat rush through him.

His eyes slowly turned black, a slit shaped pupil staring right back at his mother. The wings that were twice his size grew from his back, small but sharp horns projecting from his head.

He was only 7, he didn't deserve all this, but that was the night he transformed.

A loud growl escaped his lips as he felt the pain of transforming. His mother had her mouth agape, but in disappointment. "So you're a fucking Demon? Useless."

But he didn't hear that, all he felt was his body burning, literally.

Renjun kicked his blanket off him, eyes stinging with tears. Inhaling a huge breath, he bit his lower lip in frustration. The window was wide open, the wind blowing the curtains,

Throwing his head back, he felt the warm liquid roll down his cheeks. Hiccuping, he dragged himself to the kitchen, pulling the door of the refrigerator open.

Renjun grabbed a bottle of cold water, gulping it down.

"Shit, it hurts." He touched his back, wincing at the pain. He glanced at the screen of his phone, pursing his lips. 3:01

He wiped his tears with the back of his hand, groggily walking out his house. The cool atmosphere greeted him, but it wasn't cold enough for him.

His footsteps were gentle but swift, knowing it's way very well. He walked down the old wooden stairs, down to the cliff. The silhouette of another person however, made him curious.

He walked closer to the rock, teeth grazing over his lip ring when he saw Yenmi. She fluttered her swollen eyes open, mumbling a "oh, it's you."

Renjun walked towards the edge of the cliff, throwing his legs off the edge. He stared down at the sea, a soft smile on his face.

"That's... Dangerous." She gave an unnecessary comment. "I have wings, doll." He retorted with a scoff. He heard her say something inaudible before she jumped up on the rock.

"Have you ever had a nightmare?"

Um yeah this book going slow asf

:: I promise this is the last time I change the banner I just felt like this fits the theme of this book more 😭