23.

The auditorium was dead silent, except for the sound of scribbling which was emitted when the pen imprinted words on the blank sheet of paper

Exams were something all students despised, whether it be a smart one or a dumb one. Some of them, including her, didn't understand the concept of exams, it was almost meaningless.

Why would one write a three-hour-long paper and get their opinions judged by some random old hag? Yeah, she didn't know why but it was a compulsion.

The clock was ticking, time passing fast. Her breathing got uneasy whenever she reached a question she wasn't very sure of like any other would be.

An annoyed sigh escaped her lips, drumming the pen against her table. "Now how would I know this shit?" She muttered, glaring at the piece of paper, hoping that the answer would magically appear.

There was no effect though, no words appeared, it remained the same. Her eyes habitually glanced ahead at the boy who sat in front of her, the one who didn't help her at all which is why she had to ask her seatmate who she had never met before.

"Huang, please give me the answer to question 9, I literally beg you." She whispered, leaning a tad bit ahead but not enough to make the invigilator suspicious of her.

The said boy shook his head, ignoring her. Renjun had studied this time, having put his free day to do this.

He was although unlucky enough to be sitting right ahead Yenmi, who didn't seem to have studied at all. "Please, please, please." She whined, her hot breath fanning his neck.

"A no is good enough for you, doll." He whispered back, fingers gripping on the pen tightly as he wrote. "Yo, Haeun, tell me the answer please." She asked her seatmate, who seemed to be troubled too.

"I don't know it either, dude." She mumbled, her hand running through her hair.

"Renjun, Huang Renjun, Ren, Demon boy, Shortie, Jun." She annoyed him, her voice barely audible. "I was going to give you the answer but now that you called me short, no." He deadpanned.

Yenmi rolled her eyes, poking his back with her index finger. "That's the last answer I need, help me please." She pressed further.

She glanced at the invigilator, who wasn't paying attention to her at all. Once again, he ignored her, scribbling down on his paper.

She propped her chin against her palm, staring at the clock that kept moving without a break. Her seatmate stood up, walking towards the invigilator.

Yenmi stared at her in disbelief when she handed in her paper, grabbing her bag and leaving the room. Her jaw was left hanging as the same phrase repeated in her mind.

She fucking deceived me, I thought we were g's.

She side-eyed the seat beside her, a humourless chuckle escaping her lips. "Miss Li, quiet." The invigilator said, embarrassing her.

A snort was heard from Renjun, who seemed like he was going to be done soon too. "Please, man." She said again, her head falling on the desk with a gentle thump.

"20 minutes left." The invigilator announced, her eyes scanning the room before closing.

Renjun too got up abruptly, hands holding the filed papers. "Who'll help me now." She muttered to no one in particular.

He handed the papers in, slinging his bag over his shoulder. He glanced at her, raising an eyebrow. She boredly stared at the empty seat ahead of her, blowing her hair out of her face.

A grin was bought to her face when she saw the piece of paper that contained writing, which was most likely Renjun's. She grabbed it, her smile only widening when she realised that, that was the answer she needed.

Her eyes subconsciously looked for Renjun, who glanced at her before leaving, a smug smirk on his lips. She practically threw heart eyes at his disappearing back, all of a sudden in love with him.

Not really- but yeah.

Quickly copying down the answer in her own words, she crumbled his paper and shoved it in her pocket, walking proudly to the front of the room.

Giving the papers to the invigilator who nodded, she searched for her bag, picking it up and leaving.

She walked down the corridor, reaching the lockers. Spotting her, as she says, saviour, she inched closer to him. "Thanks for the help dude." She said.

Renjun's teeth grazed over his lip ring, shrugging. "Never helped you." He said nonchalantly. "But you did-" he cut her off with his own words. "Yeah I did but I didn't, now shut up and go wherever you were going." He deadpanned.

"Why don't you go instead?" She questioned, leaning on the lockers with her arms crossed. "Because I'm waiting for someone, now go." He scowled at her.

"Waiting for who? Donghyuck?" She asked casually, remembering his name somehow. "Did someone mention me?" A sudden voice called out from behind her, making her flinch.

Hand clutched on her chest, Yenmi scoffed when she saw the Demon. "Why did you suddenly appear out of thin air?" She asked, glancing at Mark who stood beside him.

"Why, did you get scared?" He teased, an arrogant smile playing on his lips. "No, why would I?" She lied through her teeth, raising an eyebrow.

"Boo." Renjun, who was behind her said plainly, his voice sounding slightly lower. Yenmi flinched and turned around again, her heart thumping against her ribcage.

Mark and Donghyuck laughed, wheezing between their peals of laughter. "Did you see that- and she says she ain't scared?" Mark laughed, hitting his palm against his thigh.

"I know right." Donghyuck agreed. Renjun just blankly stared at her, a poker face on. "Heck, this is considered as bullying," Yenmi said under her breath, glaring at the laughing duo but her glare faltering when she met Renjun's eyes.

"Anyway, Yenmi, how was your exam?" Mark, who had the manners to at least greet people, asked. "She didn't know shit," Renjun replied instead of her.

"I'm pretty sure you're not 'Yenmi'." She air quoted. His eyebrows met, shaking his head. "Definitely not. Would never want to be you."

Donghyuck burst into laughter again, hitting Mark's arm as he did so. Before she could even speak further, Renjun began walking away. "What are you both waiting for?" He said, looking over his shoulder.

Mark waved at Yenmi, who returned the action. Soon the three disappeared from sight, making her sigh. "Oi!" Aria said loudly, swinging an arm around her shoulder.

She once again flinched, cursing herself for being so weakhearted. "Who were you talking to? Actually, never mind, let's go get some food, I'm hungry." She smiled, dragging Yenmi with her.

They walked out the premises, passing the trio too. Renjun's eyes met hers for a split second before she looked away.

He sure was one peculiar Demon.

Idk is this character development? Lmao I feel like this book will last for 70-75 chapters (or more) 😀🤚