39.

He walked down the pathway, hands shoved in his pockets

He walked down the pathway, hands shoved in his pockets. Each step he took was slow, not wanting to rush too much. Huang finally arrived at his destination, the familiar pet store coming in sight.

"It's been long." He muttered, walking in without further thought.

As soon as he entered, he was greeted by the numerous animals, all seeming to be playing around. The manager seemed distressed, sighing loudly before she noticed Renjun.

"Oh- Good evening Mr. Huang." She said, bowing hurriedly. He narrowed his eyes at her, not knowing how she knew his name. He nodded when he realised that quite a few- or alot of people did know their future ruler.

She went back to where an employee stood, placing her hands on her hips. "So you really don't know where she is? I've not been able to contact her either!" She whisper yelled, making sure not to disturb him.

He walked towards his favourite grey cat, who seemed to be sleeping soundly. A soft smile was bought up to his lips as he picked her up in his lap, Asian squatting.

His fingers gently brushed through her hair, making Emerald purr ever so quietly.

"Miss Lara, I think she got into an accident.. she never skips work." The shorter male spoke, pursing his lips.

"Accident? Now why would you say that? You'll probably jinx her if she's completely fine." The said female groaned, throwing her head back.

The boy mumbled a quick sorry, his hands crossed.

"How have you been?" Renjun said, clearly not paying attention to their conversation. The cat instead nuzzled into his hoodie, mewing.

Her tiny paws rested on his arm, calmly sleeping. "Do you want to come with me?" He asked her in a soft voice, patting her head.

Emerald didn't reply, of course she didn't. He played with her small ears, the corner of his eyes crinkling when he smiled at the adorable sight.

"I'm surprised you haven't gotten adopted yet." He spoke, treating her as his own child.

He stood up as he felt his legs go numb from crouching for too long, Emerald yet in his arms. He turned on his heels, to spot the two chattering.

"I'm worried. She hasn't come since her last shift which was four days back." She spoke, shaking her head.

A bell rung in his mind as he cocked an eyebrow up, inching closer to the duo. "I'm sure she's fine! Yeah, she's very responsible." The other male said, nodding at his own words.

The older rolled her eyes, huffing. "I'm very well aware of that, Dongseo." She stated, looking in his eyes.

"She's a Phoenix, we all know that, of course she can take care--" Lara was abruptly cut off by Renjun, who didn't seem apologetic to be cutting her off.

"She can't." He deadpanned, recalling how she looked basically dead the day before.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Huang?" Lara stumbled in her words, perplexed. "I said, she can't take care of herself. Anywho, she'll be back in a couple days I suppose." He shrugged, looking down at Emerald.

"Oh." The duo said in unison, not knowing how to react. They didn't know why he knew how she was and whether she could take care of herself, neither did they know that they knew eachother.

Noticing their confused expressions, he hummed. "Not like I care, just didn't want her to lose such a fun job." He said, flashing them a fake smile.

"..okay?" Lara said blankly, really not getting him at all.

"Anyway, I'll get going." He said before placing the cat back on its bed, sanitising his hands and exiting the premises.

The dull sky made him even more annoyed, the rain threatening to fall. He glanced up at the clouds, scoffing.

"I hate rain."

Short chapter after a while but I love Renjun and cats 😭

Anyway, do y'all want Renjun or Yenmi to adopt Emerald?