44.

Waking up in cold sweat, she felt her heartbeat rapidly against her chest, a warm stream of tears rolling down her cheeks

Waking up in cold sweat, she felt her heartbeat rapidly against her chest, a warm stream of tears rolling down her cheeks. This time, it wasn't the nightmare she had gotten for the past months, instead, the demon boy who always had a stoic expression on his face was crying.

Why? Simple, he was getting choked by his mother.

What was worse, was that she was the one held back and watching him slowly die. The nightmare was yet freshly imprinted in her mind- the way black tears flowed from his eyes.

How his hair that usually would be perfect was messed up and greased with blood. His toned torso having cuts on them, she remembered every detail.

In fear of the terrible nightmare that yet haunted her, she hugged her knees close to her chest, rocking back and forth as she shut her eyes closed.

This was exactly how she felt when she got her first-ever nightmare, three months ago.

As if it would help, the girl began chanting his name, in hopes of forgetting the scene. Nibbling on her bottom lip, Yenmi sucked in a sharp breath, trying to calm herself down.

He's fine. He's fine. He's fine- Why do I even care?

Her mind was a mess, one part of her sickly worried for the boy, the other just telling her to shut up and go back to sleep.

But that's how one's mind works after all.

She did what she always did on nights like this, Li got out of the bed, sliding into her slippers. She didn't even bother to be sneaky anymore for she knew that her parents were deep sleepers.

Yenmi walked out of the house, leaning her back on the door as she pushed it close. She was tired of the same question lingering in her mind whenever she got a nightmare, but couldn't seem to dismiss it.

Why me?

The Phoenix, slowly walked towards the cliff, looking around now and then. She felt afraid- felt like one fine moment that Demon from her nightmare would come and kill her.

Or worse, Mingxia killing Renjun.

The cliff soon came in sight, the cool breeze hitting her tanned skin. With the breeze flowed her hair, her long silver locks dangling in the air.

She narrowed her swollen eyes at the edge of the cliff, where usually Huang would reside. Today, although, he wasn't there, the whole place was empty.

She did as her heart told her to, Yenmi inched closer to the edge of the cliff, carefully sitting down. Her feet swayed freely, the ocean below her feet glimmering.

This was the first time she ever had sat here, but truly, it felt like she was floating on clouds.

Her eyelashes batted against her cheekbones when she fluttered them close, letting the sound of the water crashing against the rock calm her.

Oh how she wanted to do this often, but when her mind was actually in peace and not clouded with unwanted thoughts.

Her eyes shot open as she flinched, feeling something near her arm. "Oh?" Li muttered, staring at the grey cat who mewed, looking up at her with her beautiful eyes.

"Hello there, why are you here?" Yenmi spoke in a soft voice, her fingers instinctively brushing Emerald's fur. She didn't say anything, jumping into her lap.

The girl secured her arms around the cat, certainly not wanting her to fall down the cliff.

"Aren't you supposed to be at the store?" She asked, rubbing Em's ears. She looked around, her eyes scanning the area.

Renjun.

A soft gasp escaped her lips when she spots Renjun leaning on the rock, already staring at her. He cocked up an eyebrow, his gaze lowering to Emerald.

Yenmi whipped her head around, looking straight ahead. A low chuckle was heard from him as he moved closer to the Phoenix.

He took a seat down, maintaining a small distance between them. She looked at him puzzled, her eyebrows furrowing. "I see, she likes you more than me." He said, patting Emerald's head.

She could only shrug, following his gaze, a smile adorned her lips at the adorable sight. Huang glanced at her, teeth grazing over his lip ring.

"Why do you always come here after a nightmare?" He asked suddenly. "Because I sleep if not? Wait how do you even know that I had a nightmare?"

"I just do?"

Yenmi shook her head at him, swinging her legs mindlessly. "Why are you always here?" She asked back, looking at him.

"I like it here." He bluntly replied, staring back into her eyes. "I've always been coming here since a child. It's more like a routine of mine now." He added.

Maintaining eye contact, she had an urge to ask him another question. "Did you bring Emerald here with you?" At this, Renjun deadpanned.

"She's my cat."

Now that was something she wasn't expecting. Her jaw dropped, realising her favourite cat was now adopted. He raised both his eyebrows, placing his index finger on her chin as he closed her mouth.

"I wanted to adopt her though." She mumbled, a pout appearing on her lips. He suppressed a growing smile, thinking over his next words once again.

"You were late, Mei."