59.

It wasn't quite a blessing to be a Phoenix

It wasn't quite a blessing to be a Phoenix. Given that they had to face so many difficulties, unable to lead a normal life- hell, it was a curse.

Ironically, Li Yenmi wanted to be useful to the world, not be called a freak, able to help herself; protect her loved ones. Quite unfortunately, her wish was granted and only now she recalled how her grandmother used to always warn her, be careful of what you wish.

She regretted it. She regretted the wish she made every year on her birthday a lot. It wasn't that bad before she fell in love with the Demon and got caught up in his mess.

Her head hurt, eyes fluttering open to a blur as she blinked them to clear her vision. Just before she could even comprehend anything, her throat itched; causing her to cough.

She coughed blood.

"Oh, look, pretty princess is up to watch her prince charming die." Mingxia's voice filled her mind like a broken tape recorder, princess, prince, die.

"Why are you doing this to her? She hasn't even done anything!" Renjun yelled, his voice cracking upon watching her struggle.

The phoenix felt a wave of relief rush through her veins when she heard him, this wasn't the person who had hurt her earlier, this was the man she grew attached to over the months.

"Pathetic, isn't it?" Mingxia began, flicking Renjun's blood-stained forehead with her index finger before ascending towards the girl.

"You know," She said, tracing her jawline with the tip of the knife in her grip. "I thought he was a brat before you were even in the picture, but now," She harshly grabbed her jaw, forcing her to look up.

"Now I realise, he's in love. Something he never even knew of, never even tried. How pathetic."

"You're the pathetic one here," Yenmi whispered, looking down at the godforsaken ring which was the reason behind them both being tied up. It was scattered into pieces, lying on the cold concrete floor.

Mingxia laughed to herself, not hesitating to use her powers on her son, suffocating him. Her eyes widened as she saw the colour drain from Renjun's face, nevertheless glaring right back at the older female.

It wasn't like he needed air to live, but he just felt like his whole body was being squeezed; feeling like his veins would burst any second.

Yenmi's eyes blazed, glowing before she launched a ball of fire towards the older, pushing her harshly against the wall. With her, the wall, cracked — the force being strong enough to do that.

"How dare you!" Mingxia yelled, flicking her hair away before grunting, struggling to get on her feet. Li tried to free herself from the ropes but to no avail.

She sucked in a sharp breath, balling her fists as her nails formed crescent shapes on her palm. "How dare I?" She scoffed, squeezing her eyes shut.

"I'd hardly call is daring, ma'am." She uttered, the ropes holding her back burning into ashes, allowing her freedom. She glanced at Renjun - who yet was under his mother's control - before standing up.

"Leave him alone." She spoke, inching closer to the female, her steps swift but slow. With the support of the wall, Huang got up too, head vigorously shaking. "Never!" She spat.

Yenmi who now stood a foot away from her smiled. "That's unfortunate." She lunged forward, throwing her balled fist on her jaw. Mingxia's face tilted sideways, palm pressing against the possibly broken bone. She swore that it was her powers no way on earth could she be this powerful.

But Mingxia wasn't giving up this easy, her huge black wings sprouted from her back, lifting her off her feet. Without a warning, the girl was lifted in the air too, literally freezing her.

Yenmi looked down at Renjun, trying her best to not let her opponent get the upper hand. "Let's see, who shall I finish off first?" She spoke in her fake accent, flying down to her son as Yenmi remained frozen in the air, unable to move.

"I remember, son," She started, the black mist surrounding him turning denser by the second as it made its way to her extended hand. "You once tried to drain all my powers, perhaps I should do that too?"

He clenched his jaw, his veins bulging prominently as he tried his best to remain calm. "What are you getting by doing all this?" He spat.

"Control. I've told you this so many times, maybe you never listened." She said, casually leaning back. "I guess we can have another story session, I've got all the time in my hands."

"You know, I never had control over my own life as a child-" story time's over, Mingxia gasped, her eyes widening as she looked down at the crimson red sharp tip sticking out her abdomen.

Yenmi let out a shaky sigh, pulling the knife out as the female's blood splattered everywhere. Mingxia fell on her knees, trying to stop the excessive blood flow.

Before anything else, Yenmi cut the ropes off Renjun's body with the same knife, giving him the weapon too. He looked down at it before locking eyes with her resulting in his lover giving him an assuring nod.

He walked closer to Mingxia, the blood dripping from the tip of the knife, leaving a trail. "I hate you, I hate you so much." He whispered before he let his eyes close, hand puncturing the knife into her body.

For the rest of the night, all Yenmi heard were screams, belonging to the mother and son duo. Once it was all over, remaining the cries of the young man, she pat his back, unable to take her eyes off the corpse.

"Don't be sad. Or hurt. Or guilty. You've done nothing wrong."

On cue came down the snowflakes, falling like dead leaves do in autumn. She silently watched him wail, wiping her nose with the back of her hand with a weak smile. She slid down the wall, hugging her knees as she stared at the ground.

"It's okay, it's over."

Bro I procrastinated this so much and it's yet so shitty godamnit

I'll try my best to post the epilogue soon </3