21.

"Hell? You've got to be kidding me

"Hell? You've got to be kidding me." She groaned, head falling back. Renjun gazed at her blankly, not having it at all.

Jeering under her breath, she faked him a smile. "I never thought I'd actually land up in hell so soon." She said to herself, which he heard due to his extreme hearing skills.

"Why didn't you just take me home." She asked, eyebrows crashing together. "Well I forgot your address, and Jaemin is supposed to be coming today to get you back home." He shrugged.

"Jaemin? Couldn't he have been the one taking me home when I was unconscious?" Certainly, he didn't have a solid answer for that.

"I liked it better when you were unconscious, it was so fun!" He sneered instead.

Not one noise, both of them stared at eachother with apathetic expressions. It was as if you could even hear a pin drop, dead silent.

None of them were ready to tear their gaze away, eyes hardening. The footsteps of one, however made him alert, eyes wandering around the room.

"Do you know how to turn invisible or something?" He asked Yenmi, locking the door.

A questioning look on her face, she shook her head. "Does it look like I know? I barely can activate my powers." She uttered. "Yeah well do something unless you have a death wish."

"You're the powerful and smart one here!" She protested, flailing her arms around.

"Son? Are you in there?" Mingxia's voice resounded. Renjun face palmed, his fingers running through his soft hair. "Who's that?" She whispered, voice an octave lower.

His posture was rigid, tongue pressed against his inner cheek. "Please just disappear or some shit." He said, directing to Yenmi.

"Open the door already!" His mother said, the door knob vigorously shaking. "Could you atleast hide in the closet or somewhere!" He whispered yelled.

She tried to stand up, stumbling on her feet. "I swear to god I did not sign up for this crap." She said, limping towards the walk-in closet.

As the closet door was slammed close, the door to his room opened on cue, revealing his fuming mother. "What were you doing for so long?" She said, her voice filled with venom.

Renjun clicked his tongue, his weight shifting from one foot to another. "I was changing. What about you, mother? Where were you?" He asked back, clearly wanting to change the flow of the conversation.

Mingxia cocked an eyebrow up, her body gently leaning back.

"As I said, running some errands-" She was cut off by him scoffing, obviously not believing her. "Errands? What are you, a gofer?"

She felt a flicker of irritation, struggling against her own anger. "That shouldn't bother you, son." She grinned, her sharp fangs on display. The hues of her eyes were almost black, void of any emotion.

"Well then, mother, I am just playing my role as a child of yours."  He stated, hands itching to release the fury bottled up inside him.

Yenmi on the other hand, sat against the door, unintentionally eavesdropping on their conversation. Her mouth was sealed closed by her fist, not wanting the older woman to hear her.

It surely wouldn't be that bad, right? It was just an ordinary girl in her early 20's who was staying in the most powerful demon's house for just two days.

Yeah, totally fine.

Getting on her feet, she wandered around the room filled with clothes and accessories and shoes. She wasn't going to lie, he did have a good fashion sense.

Her hands brushed against the numerous shirts, ignoring the yells from outside the room.

"Huang Renjun behave! 你沒有權利和我頂嘴! (You have no right to talk back to me!)" She yelled, her finger threateningly pointing at him. He pursed his lips, sighing.

"Sorry.." His head hung low, a ghost of a smirk being visible. "But this is how a conversation works, unfortunately." He said, black eyes glaring right into those of his mother's.

"It's not funny anymore. I know how a conversation works. I'm no illiterate woman!" She yelled. "Oh is that so? I didn't know." Renjun said.

Yenmi almost snorted at the conversation taking place outside, well she definitely wasn't scared yet. She kept going through the clothes that were sorted quite neatly. She pushed aside the tees, to find a peculiar box placed.

I shouldn't be looking through his stuff.

Her hand wavered, hesitant to open it. But then again, I have nothing else to do. It wouldn't hurt to just have a glance.

She struggled to open the box, the pads of her fingers swiftly trying lock combinations. The box finally opened, after what seemed like a couple of minutes, revealing a bunch of things.

A keychain, an old phone, a bunch of keys, an old wristwatch which had stopped at 2:59 and a wand was placed inside the box, messily.

Wait, a wand?

Her eyes narrowed at the stick, rolling her eyes when she remembered the day he wanted to make a deal. He had not returned her wand, instead told her, 'I will return it once I get the ring back.'

Her hand almost grabbed it, before she felt someone tap her shoulder. Flinching, Yenmi slowly turned around, afraid that she was caught.

"Come on, we need to get out of here." Jaemin said, occassionally glancing at the door that seperated the mother-son duo and them.

"No wait I have to get my-" he cut her off with a sigh, massaging his temples. "Look, it's not very safe here," He paused when he heard the shattering of glass.

"-Not at all safe. If you don't want to be in grave danger, just shut up and let me teleport us back home." Jaemin added, intervening his hands with her's.

"You know how this works, just close your eyes, simple." He closed his own eyes, gulping. A dark red mist surrounded them, disappearing.

Yenmi's ears although, had caught on on the yell of his mother, who said something along the lines of 'why are they here?' when she barged into the room, with Renjun trailing behind her.

She shrugged it off, clearly not realising how she ran into her own trap.

What was waiting for her? Was it death or was it life? Was it defeat or victory? Was it love or hatred? That she would only know when the crowning would take place, either Renjun's or hers.

The day of the lunar eclipse, exactly four months from now.

Y'all see what I did?

I'll try to make all the chapters from now onwards 1000+ words, tyvm.

(Don't ask from where the Mandarin came andddd thanks for 400+ reads 😭)