•22•

December 29th 2011

"Nope, go fish." Piper declared. I groaned and grabbed another card from the deck.

I looked over at Ross as Piper was asking me for a card to see him drawing. Again.

He's been fairly distant these past couple days because of the up coming visit from his parents.

But today is the day they've decided to show up, on his birthday.

I tried wishing him a Happy Birthday last night at 12am, but he just sighed and bid me a goodnight.

They're coming at 4pm, and right now its 9am.

"Cass!?" I jumped and turned towards Piper.

" I'm sorry what?"

"Do you have any twos?"

Groaning I handed her my twos.

***

I walked into mine and Ross' bedroom to retrieve my new phone, because I can't get in the habit of bringing it with me everywhere. But I walked in to see Ross combing his hair and straightening his clothes.

"What are you doing?" I asked. Ross turned and sighed.

"I may not be under the rule of my parents anymore, but I still feel like I have to resort back to the way I was." I frowned and stood behind him, examining him in the mirror. I shook my head.

"Please don't do this, you're better than this, you don't have to stoop to their standards." I grabbed his arm and unbuttoned the cuff, and unbuttoned the first three buttons on his shirt but his hands stopped me.

"You think I'm insane for still wanting my parents to want me, don't you?" I paused and looked him in the eyes. Ross huffed and shook his head.

"Of course you do, I mean, why in the world would I want their approval? Why would a child possibly want to be wanted by his parents? Might as well just take all of this off, right? Just so I can prove them right, to show them, "Hey you weren't really missing much. He's still the same kid you left behind, except now he's taller!" Ross ranted ripping the button off shirt, making buttons pop everywhere. He went into the closet and grabbed his worn out old navy shirt and he quickly took his pants off and traded it for some ragged sweat pants that he usually wears to bed.

"Ross, you're being ridiculous.... Look at me." I said sternly. He lifted his head up and looked into my eyes. I grabbed his hand and pulled him in for a hug which surprisingly he accepted.

"I just want to feel accepted." He whispered in my ear. "I want to feel needed."

I hugged him tighter.

Say it Caspian. Say it. I urged myself.

"I-I need you." I breathed out and held onto him tighter, my eyes wide because of what I just said. I shook my head and buried my head into his chest. "I need you to be Ross, not some expectation, I need you to be who you are." Ross stroked the top of my head and kissed my forehead. And I breathed in his scent. Downstairs a door bell echoed throughout the house and me and Ross froze. He pulled away from me and smiled somberly.

"I need you too."

***

"Its so nice to see you again Violet." Mama Vi smiled to Mrs.Lynch as she put her coffee on the table. But as soon as she turned around to go back into the kitchen her smile dropped.

Me and Ross observed as Mama Vi massaged her temples.

"Are you okay?" I asked. Mama Vi opened her eyes and laughed.