•18•

November 4th Flashback / phone conversation between Caspian & her mother.
"Sweetheart?"
" Mom?"

I was in such disbelief, its almost as if a mythical creature was presenting itself.

"I-I don't know what to say." I laughed and twisted the phone cord around my finger.

"Well I do. I've missed you honey." I grab onto the phone tighter trying to keep of together.

"I-I miss you too. Are you still in Jamaica?" I heard shuffling on the other end.

"No, I have been stationed in Europe for three years now." My brows knitted together in confusion. That explains the accent.

"Er, uh, has any progress been made?" I could hear my mother sigh.

"I'm not going to lie to you girly. There are days when doctors assume that they have the perfect solution to the problem at hand, but it fails almost every time." I was now curious about the toll the fungi was taking on my mom.

"What are your.... restrictions?" My mother chuckled at my wording.

"Well, it affects my breathing and also my energy. I can't walk as much as I'd like because it seems like I'm starting to develop arthritis." I frowned at the sound of Ross' singing getting louder. He switched songs.

"What is that noise?" I laughed slightly and twirled the telephone cord around my finger..
"Sorry that's Ross my roommate I'll tell him to be qui-"

"Roommate? Where's your aunt Carmen?" I froze in place.

"S-She left me at Bumpy Roads in Indiana i-its like a foster home." I listened in to hear silence.
" I-I can't believe- S-She promised! " I heard beeping in the background
"Diane! You need to get your heart rate down!" I frowned at the new voice streaming through the phone.

"Sorry sweetheart, but why?" I now felt ashamed, my mother is unaware of the young woman her daughter has became... and she's going to be disappointed.

" Me and some friends were being really stupid, we got caught with uh." I mumbled out the last part.
"I'm sorry honey what was that?" I sighed.

"I got caught with.... marijuana a-and heroin." I heard my mom hum slightly.
"I forgot how big a deal marijuana and heroin are in the US." I heard her laugh a little but she started to cough.

"So you're not mad?" My mom cleared her throat.

"Well, it bothers me a little that you're involved with drugs, but after being around them for a year and a half I have a better understanding than most of those ignorant people who assume they know everything. I understand... its the easiest way to escape." I sighed in relief.

" So who's this Ross character?" I laughed at the subject change.

"Well, he's my roommate, I got roomed with him because the housing system assumed I was a boy. So I got stuck rooming with him. It was either that or get sent back to the foster system." I rub my forehead thinking about how insane this might sound.

" And you like each other?" I choked on my own saliva.

"N-No! No! I-I - Were just- I-its complicated." I finished off lamely.

"What's complicated about it dear? You either like each other or you don't. Unless if this is unrequited, if so I'm sorry sweetheart." I bit the inside of my cheek, debating if I should tell her everything, including the whole Rider ordeal.

•••

"And they're still dating." I sighed.

"Don't worry dear, it will all work out for you in the end." My mom consoled me and sniffs because she's still upset about Rider and how she was never informed.

"Well I sure hope so." I felt the mood change drastically. I looked at a clock in the room to see it was 10 til' midnight. I wonder what time it is over there?

We weren't speaking a word because we both knew this is goodbye until next time.

" I- I can't believe I spent 5 hours on the phone." My mother laughed then sighed.

"I believe this is goodbye." She whispered.

" I love you." I whispered back.

"I love you too, more than you'll ever know." I waited until I heard the phone cut off. And I sat in shock still holding the phone to my ear.

Something was building up inside me. It was a mix between sadness and anger at the fact that Ross is still singing at the top of his lungs.

I slammed the phone down and put my head in my hands for a minute before shoving back from the desk and taking the stairs two at a time before barging into mine and Ross' room and ripping out his earphones.

"Could you be any louder!?" I yelled at the startled Ross, who hit pause on his music and looked at me quizzically.

" I'm sorry... music helps when I need to brain storm." He sat down on his bed slowly as if I were going to attack him.

" Look, I'm sorry for freaking out on you, but I'm just- I'm just." I thought a bit for better word. "I'm upset." He nodded and looked down.

"Did I do something?" I shook my head immediately.

"I talked with my mom." I said quietly as I sat across from him on my bed.

"How'd that go?" I looked at the wood floors sadly.

"Good I guess." Ross grabbed one of my hands.

"Why are you upset then?" I looked at our hands briefly before looking back down at the floor where my sight began to go blurry.

" I told her everything. I- I told her about Rider about bumpy roads, about how I got here, and about you. I've probably ruined her image of a perfect daughter a-and now she's not going to want to see me." Ross nodded his head in understanding, which I didn't understand because I sound like a whiny brat.
"I think everything is going to turn out okay. Don't worry too much." He went into the closet to get ready for bed and I rolled my eyes.
"I wish that the phone call with my mom was the only thing bothering me." Ross came out in pajama bottoms and a Green Day shirt.
"What else is bothering you?" I looked down at the wooden floor so I wouldn't have to stare into Ross' eyes.
"You're bothering me." Ross had an appalled look on his face.
"What? You think you can kiss me one day and sweet talk your girlfriend the next?" I asked. Ross rolled his eyes and got under his covers.
"Can you shut off the light Cass?" Ross asked as he turned towards the wall.
"The hell I will! I'm spending the night in Pipers room. Oh, and if you don't tell Britney, I will." I grabbed my pillow and didn't bother to turn the light off or shut the door.

•••••••
Hi I'm sorry I haven't been updating this story.
My baby sister was born January 13 2015 at 7am
School started up again.
And I have been trying to type as often as I can.
Thanks for 15k