Chapter 2 Wrong Pipe

Mr. Angelov had already turned back to Amy.

"So vampire teens are just normal kids? Wait, I thought they were sick." Amy said a little confused. "You said anemic, right?"

Personally, it was all rubbish to me anyway. He smiled at her, his thick white skin stretched over his face. UGH!! That man was too creepy.

"Until the gene turns on they're not sick." Mr. Angelov explained as if we all should have understood this anyway. "Its effects start slowly. Flu-like symptoms. There was one case a few years ago that there were supposedly no warning symptoms. I doubt the validity, I'm sure there were symptoms." He was quiet for a minute, lost in his own thoughts.

Kyle cleared his throat.

Mr. Angelov didn't jump but shifted his eyes to look at Kyle. Kyle shifted in his seat, I was sure that he wanted the floor to open and swallow him. I would have too with that look directed at me.

"Mr. Angelov?" Amy asked and she sounded totally confused. "You said that some offices were inherited by birth?"

"Yes. The vampire queen is born to her place." Mr. Angelov said.

I couldn't help it. I did try not to offend the old man but the laugh passed my lips and I couldn't recall it no matter how he glared at me. I mean, Come on, Vampire Queen? It was like a bad movie that held your interest only because it was so bad.

"I know you don't believe me, Ms. Stone." He smiled at me and I felt like I would vomit. "You'll learn, if you live long enough, that people are never what they appear to be. The truth is only a small portion of what is and we are all responsible for who we become."

"Even the vampires that are born to their place? How can they be responsible for what they become?" I asked snidely. I should have kept my mouth shut.

"Them even more so. They may not choose the positions they hold but they choose how to hold it. A queen that shows no respect for her subjects dies young. A Mage that uses magic to deceive finds the bed they sleep in to burst into flames. You all will choose how you react to the life you are destined too. Choose wisely."

I felt my head nodding. This whole thing felt wrong. We shouldn't be here. We shouldn't be talking to this Crazy old man. I suddenly knew that what he said about people not being what they appear was true. He may be old but he was dangerous. He was scary.

A soft knock sounded on the door and Mr. Smith entered carrying a tray of tea and tiny cakes. Mr. Smith looked just like you would expect a butler to look. Well, maybe not as old. He wasn't as old as Mr. Angelov. Mr. Smith looked like he was maybe forty. He moved like he was younger. I didn't get a good look at his eyes but the rest of him was polished. Black jacket, black tie, black pants, shiny black shoes, That was Mr. Smith. Even his voice sounded polished. Accent and all.

We were each served and Mr. Smith left the room with a soft bow of his head to Mr. Angelov.

Kyle frowned at his cup but added three spoons of sugar anyway. Amy added sugar as well.

I took a drink of mine, it stung my throat, and I didn't care. It tasted mildly licorice, you know the black kind, not the red kind. My mind was still on the fact that I didn't want to be here. The feeling in my throat hadn't gone away either. I blew on my tea and braved another sip.

Amy smiled, always the cheery blond, she looked at Mr. Angelov and asked, "So, have you really met a vampire?"

As soon as the words left her mouth, I choked on my tea. I quickly put my cup on the table and I covered my mouth but some of the tea escaped anyway as it was forced from my lungs by harsh wracking coughs. The pain in my lungs was intense. I hardly noticed Amy stand and lean forward.