Chapter 22 Revelation

Chapter 22

Some how my body knew exactly what was in that bag.  The knowledge caused a mixed reaction.

A part of me wanted to grab the bag, rip it open and guzzle the contence.

Another part, the part that highly concerned me, wanted nothing more then to ignore the bag, rip into Kyle's throat and drink until my hunger became nothing but a memory.

A third part, the part I was least disgusted by, wanted nothing to do with any of this madness. Unfortunately, I couldn't get Angelov's voice out of my head.

If I refused to eat, I didn't want to call it feeding, the hunger would cause me to do something I would regret.

I still wasn't comfortable with any of this, how could I be? I was normal yesterday. I was human. Now, I wasn't sure what I was. Vampire…  That was just a word to me. I wasn't sure who all of this made me. I didn't know if I was capable of this, any of it.
"Ms. Stone!" Angelov yelled. The harshness of his voice ripped me out of my head. I blinked. He was clearly not pleased. "Pay attention." He said each word forcefully. I nodded shakily.

"Bring the bag to your mouth. At first you may find the smell of the plastic off-putting but your fangs will extend if you bite. Once you pierce the bag stop biting. Instinct should lead you from there.

"As a new vampire you don't require much blood and your body is still changing to accommodate this new part of your diet. Don't be concerned if you feel a bit of nausea, just stop drinking." He stood and stepped forward.

I don't know how I did it but I didn't flinch or shy back.

"You have a choice... You can do this privately or not. I will remain in the room but the others could wait in the hall."

"I'm not leaving." Eric stated. He shook his head at me and continued, "I don't have to watch but I'm not leaving you alone. I'll turn around or something but I'm not leaving. I don't want to go, Stephanie."

He sounded, I'm not sure how to explain it, scared by the time he said my name despite the strength in his voice in the beginning. Angelov didn't give me time to contemplate the meaning.

"You do not turn your back on a newborn vampire feeding for the first time, boy. You don't know if they'll control the thirst or if it will control them. You stay- you watch." Angelov turned to me.  "Your choice."

I shook my head. "They can stay." I barely managed to whisper. I would like to say I did it to ease Eric's mind, but I didn't. I didn't want to be alone. 

Angelov held the bag out to me. I took it without looking at him or the others.  I could already smell the plastic and I didn't like it. Knowing I had to do this didn't help me. 

"Don't think about the smell. Just bite it, it needn't be hard. Nature will take care of the rest."

I lifted the bag and grimased. How could I not know plastic smelled so vile? Forcing the thought aside I did as Angelov said. I bit.

My gums stung for a fraction of a second and I felt the resistance as my fangs pressed against the plastic bag.  The plastic gave under the sharp force and I found the sensation quite satisfying. Seconds later I tasted the coppery thick blood. There were so many taste in the one drop on my tongue. Copper. Zinc. Iron. Something nutty I couldn't place. Under the metals I tasted a sweetness I couldn't have expected.

My fangs pulled back and blood, less then I expected, flowed into my mouth.  Eagerly I swallowed. This wasn't as bad as I expected either. It was pleasant, really pleasant.