Chapter 48 Angelov Explained

By the end of the month I was almost going stir crazy. I wanted to move, run, jump, kick, hit, duck, dodge or something. Before my transition I had never been overly physical. I mean, come on, why would people join a gym just so they could sweat. You can do that at home.

Still at the end of the month I was more than happy to sweat in Angelov's basement gym.  I'd be sitting in class and find my legs bouncing under my desk, tapping my fingers over my knee or the desktop. I'd be out side after lunch and catch a glimpse of movement with my peripheral vision and instantly want to spring in pursuit. 

In anticipation of the physical activity I even dressed the part. Under my school clothes, I wore dark camo joggers, a black t- shirt, pink sneakers and pink and orange mismatched socks.

Walking down the hall I smiled in anticipation. My muscles felt like tightly wound springs.  I nodded to one of Angelov's staff members as he passed. He nodded back. I was practically dancing my way down the hall.

In the gym the others where already waiting. Twenty minutes later I was wondering what was wrong with my brain. How is it possible that I had missed this for the past seventeen days.

Audrey was impressed that I hadn't become soft while on hiatus from my illness. I was not impressed. My bones felt like jelly to me. Sweat coated my skin, dripped down my back between my shoulder blades and clung relentlessly to my scalp and hair. Still I managed to remember all the moves. I practically ran to the showers when Audrey released us.

In the small library on the second floor Angelov gave us another test on Para-world species. It was the sixth or seventh test we had taken on what we learned at Angelov's. Both Amy and I passed. I did mess up on the Fairies customs. In my defense the Fairies had customs that where long and completed. Some words alone, common words,  could be taken as an insult. It was ridiculous.

He then moved on to species he hadn't mentioned before, interesting but not as interesting as what came next. Then he started covering the Guardians.

There were no Werecougar Guardians available for Kinsey and Olivia so they had been paired with other shifters. "If there isn't a Guardian of the same species then another is assigned. Like your friends, Olivia and Kinsey. There are no Werecougars available so a weresnake and werewolf were assigned."

While some species had centuries of animosity between each other when someone joined the Guardians they had to put all of that behind them.

"Are all werecats rare or just ones like Kinsey?"

"Both. Weres of most species are rare because they've been hunted almost to extinction. Four centuries ago the hunters wanted their extermination."

I held up a hand. "But the hunter after Kinsey and Olivia isn't planing on killing them. Right?" I'm sure my voice conveyed my distress at the thought.

"No. Some time in the last two centuries the objective of the Hunters changed. They hunt for profit and sport." His voice held contempt. "They no longer have a misguided moral compass that demands they rid the world of the abominations that are Paras."

He sounded disappointed. I'm not sure how I should take that.

"You sound like you think ridding the world of Paras is a good thing." Amy said her eyes narrowed on Angelov. I guess she had doubts of his motives too.

"No, Ms. Green. But I could understand a group intent on protecting the world as they understood it. I could understand if they believed that Paras were a danger to humanity. I could understand fear of something they didn't understand. But that is no longer their reason for existing. They protect no one. They don't value life, human or Para. They value power, money and positions."