Chapter 39 Birthday Present

The next week was spent between the hospital and school. Amy, Eric and Kyle spent time with me at the hospital. Amy, Kyle and I did homework, visited with Dad, played cards, watched movies and walked around exploring the hospital.

Oddly it was because of dad's accident Amy and Kyle were talking to each other. Amy had called him in a panic when I didn't answer my phone. He picked her up in his car, freshly out of the shop, and they drove to the library, the restaurant where I had wanted a job, Angelov's and then the park looking for me. They had even called Eric hoping he had skipped work to be with me.

Saturday and Sunday dad was too medicated too talk much. When he did talk he didn't make sense.

Mom hated to go back to work on Monday. Still she taught her classes, went home, showered and came back to the hospital. She didn't go to the realty office as they gave her time off. It used up almost all her holidays and vacation but she didn't care.

Tuesday the principal called me to his office. He had read the paper and recognized my dad's name as a victim in the collision. We talked about my dad's injuries and that both me and my mom we're staying at the hospital. Principal Rashe just wanted to know if my family needed anything. Less homework was all I could think of. My homework and school work were cut in half.

"Just for the month. I know his recovery will take longer but I have faith you can get back into the swing of things." Principal Rashe assured me.

Eric spent time with me too. We talked about self defense. I admitted I had been practicing on my own. I even admitted why. He seemed to think nothing of the fact he would age and die before I was even physically out of my twenties. We sat in his car in the main parking lot.

"It's okay I'll have a hot girl friend even when I'm a hundred." He joked.

"Eric, be serious. It's not funny. You'll die and I'll be alone." I lightly slapped his arm. My heart beat faster because he called me his girlfriend. Did he mean to? Did he think of me as his girlfriend?

"You won't be alone. You have Amy." He said distracting me from my thoughts.

"It's not the same. I'm going to lose everyone else I care about. You, mom, dad: my family are human. Do you think they won't notice I'm not aging? Even if they didn't care about what I am, not that I'm willing to tell them, I'll still have to see them die."

"But can you cut us out of your life and waist the time you could have with us?" He lifted an eyebrow. His body shifted in his seat. I wondered if he was nervous about my answer.

"No." I shook my head. I couldn't give up the memories but I could almost feel the lose already.

I did ride with Amy and Kyle to Angelov's for blood on Thursday. He wasn't happy about my sneaking out the afternoon my dad got hurt. I didn't tell him it hadn't been the first time. He wanted me to stay for training but I refused. I insisted on going back to the hospital.

Friday night Amy stayed in the hospital waiting room with me. The nurses gave us funny looks when we spread out our sleeping bags in a corner.

At first I thought they'd tell us we couldn't use sleeping bags there. I knew we could sleep there, other people did all the time.

There were always others there. A woman slept in a recliner, a blanket wrapped around her. A couple sat on a row of the uncomfortable chairs. The man's arm wrapped around the woman, who had light makeup streaked from tears. A man slouched in the chair in the other corner of the waiting room.

He didn't look up from his phone but I felt a tingle on the back of my neck when I glanced at him.

Amy and I fell asleep, each of us with an earbud in one ear, while coloring with color pencils. Somehow I had accumulated a lot my things at the hospital. Most of my stuff was in the room.