Chapter 10 Real

Chapter 10

It didn't take long to get back to Mr. Angelov's. It was one of those situations that took too long and not long enough. The closer we got the more nervous I got. Unfortunately, I was pretty nervous to begin with so by the time we got there my hands were shaking.

"Is there any way we can talk to Mr. Angelov? Stephanie has a few questions." Eric said after pressing the button on the speaker box.

"Is Miss. Stone in the car with you?" Came the distorted reply.

"Yes, Mr. Smith, I'm here. Amy too." I leaned forward, almost in Eric's lap and called out.

Mr. Smith opened the gate from somewhere inside the house. I sat back down in my seat pressing my hands to my stomach. Eric drove through the gate and I could feel my stomach doing flips inside of me.

Mr. Smith met us at the door opening it just as I was about to knock.

"Ladies, Gentleman." Mr. Smith said in that accent that sounded very posh. "Mr. Angelov is on the phone dealing with an issue that came up suddenly but he asked me to lead you to the study." he stepped aside and we followed him sown the hallway. He led us to the same study we had all been in just hours ago. "Would you like some tea while you wait?" He asked as we sat down. Eric said no but both Amy and I accepted. He bowed his head and left us alone.

I leaned back in the chair and stated nibbling on my fingers. It was a nervous habit that I couldn't seem to break. Now sitting in Angelovs house I was starting to have doubts about what I had intended to do. Being here reminded me of just how nervous the man had made me before. It was easy to forget that when I wasn't under his roof, behind tall walls and iron gates.

"Do you still have the recorder, Amy?"

She nodded and pulled the recorder out of her purse-backpack. She was zipping the bag back up when Mr. Smith walked in with a tray. He put it down on the coffee table beside Mr. Angelovs heliotrope stone.

There were two teapots on the tray as well as four cups, and assorted types of sweets. The napkins that sat on the tray had a large AA monogram printed in red and black.

I couldn't remember if the monograms had been the same or different before. I did remember trying to breath with tea in my lungs and napkins clutched in my hands.

I was thankful for the tea. My throat didn't seem to be bothering me as it had been but it was nice to sit and sip the sweetened licorice flavored warmth.

I noticed that Amy sipped at her tea casting quick glances at Mr. Smith who had walked over to stand at the door. After about five minutes of none of us saying a word I couldn't take it any more. The waiting and the silence were getting on my nerves. I sat my half full cup on the tray with a loud clank. Everyone looked at me, even though it was only three people it felt like hundreds.

"Mr. Angelov is obviously very busy. I think we should just come back tomorrow." I said even though I was thinking of coming back never.

"Mr. Angelov is dealing with a simple computer malfunction. It will-" Mr. Smith didn't get a chance to finish. The three of us stood, Amy so quickly she spilled her tea, and Eric shook his head at us.

"It's actually time for us to go. I have to get the girls home and be home by curfew myself."

Amy snatched her things from the table and floor.

I didn't miss Mr. Smiths raised brow or the sound of foot steps in the hall. We were too late. Mr. Angelov was already joining us. I was at a loss for words. Amy too. She gave me a look that I interpreted as 'Busted'. Eric didn't seem to hear anything as he moved closer to me. He motioned for me to go on a head of him.

The door opened and Mr. Angelov stepped inside. He smiled as he paused. "I'm sorry I was delayed. Smith tells me you had a question?" He looked at us, one at a time. His look lingered on Eric, almost assessing.

My mind spun threw possible questions because I no longer wanted to question him about the book or computers. "I- I- You never told us how - how to kill a vampire. I'm s-sure we'll need it for the report." I couldn't actually remember if he had told us, but I was grasping straws.

He took a step into the room letting the door close behind him. He wasn't looking at us now. He had spotted the tea and was making his way over. "There are all manners of myths on how to kill vampires. Books and books of them actually. Sunlight and a wooden stakes in the heart are most popular myths by far." Mr. Angelov said as he crossed the room and sat down. He reached for the tea and I took the opportunity to get out of there.

"Thank you, Mr. Angelov. Your help has been really valuable. Thank you, for seeing us again on such short notice. We really do need to be going." I rushed to say as I moved closer to the door. Amy and Eric were moving too.

"You're most welcome, child. I'm glad you stopped by. You are welcome back again, any time." Mr. Angelov said as he stood. I gave him a smile, scared he would insist on seeing us out, or at least I tried to smile. Then I turned to Mr. Smith.

"Mr. Smith, could you see us out."

Mr. Smith nodded and did just that. I don't know about the others but I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I had to stop myself from running.

The three of us shared a few looks as we followed Mr. Smith. I didn't have any trouble interpenetrating Amy but Eric was another matter. Amy pretty much wanted to know what we were going to do now. I think Eric's thoughts ran more to wondering what he was doing here -- with us.

Personally I was wondering about Mr. Angelov's final comment. Did he not know that it was me that messed up the computers? Or did he just not care? That didn't seem right somehow. He seemed to be in a good mood, better then he had been hours ago.

Eric had the keys in his hand as soon as we stepped out of the house. The car rumbled to life as I was buckling my seat belt.

"Did either of you notice that he completely avoided the question?" Eric asked as accelerated down the drive.

"I don't care. I'm just glad to be out of there." I said shaking my head. "I don't get it though. He obviously didn't know that I caused the computer problems. Admit it, Eric, you about had a heart attack when he mentioned a computer malfunction." I laughed as he drove out of the gate.

"I wouldn't go that far." he said dryly with a glance at me. He drove for a few minutes minutes in silence. "How much of what he said did you believe?" He finally asked.

I shook my head, brows scrunched. "None of it. He's crazy. And he freaks me out." I didn't want to admit that I was starting to wonder if he was less crazy then people said.

I watched him as he frowned. "What? You believe him?" I smiled even though he couldn't see me. "You think vampires are real?" I rolled my eyes.

"Why not?" He asked with a shrug of his shoulders.

"And what - casters, werewolves, fairies and the chupacabra - those are real too?" I asked. Amy had leaned forward in her seat. She seemed to be paying close attention to both of us.

"I didn't say that." he said. "I'm just saying that the things he said - some of it made since."

"They are real." Amy said in a small voice. I had no problem hearing her but Eric looked at her in the rear view mirror.

"What?" he asked with no inflection in his voice.

"I said they are real." She said louder. I turned almost all the way around in my seat.