Chapter 38 Waiting

Chapter 38 Waiting

The people in our little corner dwindled in number. Some had family obligations of their own, some has work, some simply needed sleep, food, or they just couldn't handle being in a hospital anymore. Those that left we're not the only change. Eric arrived after he got off work.

At first I didn't see him. I sat nibbling on my fingers. My head down looking at the ugly off-white floor tile, it was his scent that alerted me to his presence. I jerked my head up.

Despite all the distance I had put between us the past few days I suddenly realized I needed him. Something in me had changed.

Vampires weren't truely immortal. We seemed that way to some one who had a life span less then a fraction of ours. I had been so focused on the difference and how I would loose him. I didn't see what I was given up.

I stood and ran across the room. "Eric." My body slammed into his. He grunted at the impact but his arms wrapped around me. I hugged him tight. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I pulled back so I could look at his face. He smiled sadly. "I was so stupid. Everyone dies and I was so stupid. I would rather have a human lifetime with you in my life, then any lifetime with out you in it." I burried my face in his neck.

"I'm here." His arms tightened. He even stepped forward. I don't know how long we stood there. Eventually we went to sit down with the others. I knew I probably had some explaining to do but I didn't care. He was here and that's all that mattered.

Having him there, sitting beside me and holding my hand meant more to me than I expected.

"Stone family?" A nurse called from the doorway.

The seven of us jumped to our feet and walked over to the nurse.

"I'm his wife." Mom said with a death grip on my hand.

"Mr. Stone has multiple injuries. However, he is getting the best treatment. Due to the confusion we were unable to inform you when he was taken into emergency surgery. H-"

"Surgery?" Mom's voice cracked as she asked.

"Emergency surgery for what?" I demanded.

The nurse looked down at the papers. "Ruptured spleen. The surgery went well and and he's in recovery. He also has a broken left tibula and fibula, broken left wrist and two cracked ribs. There are multiple laserations and bruising. The laserations have been stitched, the wrist has been set and cast. They have scheduled surgery for the tib/fib fracture tomorrow afternoon at one o'clock. They are getting him a room on the fourth floor. If you like I'll have someone come when they assign him to a room and show you up."

"Can we," mom pulled me closer to her side, "go in to see him?"

The nurse shook her head apologetically. "No. I'm sorry. He's still groggy from the surgery. By the time he's in a room on the fourth floor he'll be more conscious. It shouldn't be long, twenty more minutes or so." She produced papers for my mother to sign.

After a few minutes she left us to ourselves. Mom paced the floor. It was great, and we were thankful, to be told Dad would be okay and that he was alive. However, it was another thing to see it for ourselves. We needed to see it.

Nurse Mary James came and walked right over to us. "Mrs. Stone?"

"I'm Mrs. Stone." Mom stood nervousness evident in her shaking hands and held breath.

"I'm the EDs head nurse, Nurse James. I've come to take you to the fourth floor. Their getting Mr. James settled into his room now." She smiled at my mom who released a relieved gasping sigh. We all followed her to a bank of elevators.