Chapter 13 Sick

Chapter 13

I didn't eat dinner instead I chose to go strait to my room.

Even when I lay in bed my mind still worked trying to catalog all my thoughts. The note I had written to my parents sat at the bottom of the trash bin by my desk. They hadn't even seen it. Should I tell them what I had learned? I smiled up at the ceiling. They would think I was joking or worse think I had gone mental.

It took me a long time to finally go to sleep. When my alarm went off at 6 am I rolled over and slapped the snooze. Ten minutes later the thing started screeching again. This time I grabbed the cord and yanked it. It shut up. I rolled back over and realized just how tired I felt. My throat hurt more now then it did the day before. I had a headache. Even with the black out curtains it felt too bright. I pulled the pillow over my head and attempted to sleep for a little longer.

A loud knock sounded on my door. "Stephanie, you're going to be late for school. You have twenty minutes to catch the bus." my dad said after I heard the door open. I groaned.

I still felt like my head would explode. My throat itched so badly I tried to clear it.

"Stephanie, get up, hon. Your running late." he called.

"I'm not going to school." I grumbled under the pillow. Suddenly the pillow was gone.

"Are you sick?" he asked.

"Ugh." I complained reaching for the pillow. I didn't even have enough energy to lift more then my arm. "Yes." I answered his question. Giving up on the pillow I pulled the cover over my head.

"I'll get your mom." I felt the pillow land lightly on my shoulder where he dropped it. I didn't care.

A few minutes later my mom came in the room dressed for work. She made me sit up, felt my head, looked in my mouth and ordered me to lay back down. I covered my head as soon as I hit the bed.

"I have classes til noon then I'm showing a house on Oak Street. Call my cell if you need me. Are you sure you don't want to go to the doctor?"

"For the flu?" I asked. "They cant fix a virus."

Before she left for work she brought a bottle of acetaminophen cold relief, a liquid throat spray and a bottle of water. She watched as I took two pill and instructed me to take two more in four hours.

I went back to sleep as soon as she left. My dreams were of my friends and I being locked in a dungeon by werewolves and vampires. I woke up screaming with the image of a vampire's fangs buried in Amy's throat still fresh in my mind.

Screaming myself awake only damaged my throat some more. I sprayed my throat but didn't get much relief. My head still pounded and I realized I had finally gotten hungry but felt nausea as well.

I made my way to the kitchen and searched the refrigerator. My mom happened to be a good cook but with two jobs and her writing she seldom had time to do any cooking. To keep us feed she hired a woman in an apartment complex downtown to provide 20 meals a week. When I told her we could just order take out or delivery she shook her head and told me that Jessica needed the money and that it was a lot more healthy to eat home cooked meals.

I found a bit of left over chicken lasagna from the night before. I also pulled a bottle of orange juice from the fridge. The acid in the drink set my throat on fire. I poured the rest of the glass down the sink. Rummaging through the cabinet for kool-aid I found my moms mint tea.

It reminded me of the tea that Mr. Angelov gave Amy and I. I debated using it but it had worked the day before. What harm could it actually do. Even Mr. Angelov had drank some yesterday. Plus if you added sugar it didn't taste bad. I used the coffee pot to heat the water while I went upstairs to find my little jar of tea. Thankfully the directions were on the inside of the lid. I didn't have a tea ball so I just dropped the loose tea in the bottom of the cup and poured the hot water on top. While it sat doing it's thing I heated the lasagna in the microwave.