Chapter 49 Guardians

Chapter 49  Guardians

Stress. Stress affected me. It made me irritable, cranked up my need for blood, and sometimes I just wanted to punch people or rip them in half. I can't imagine it being worse. I can't imagine what Angelov dealt with daily. According to Angelov what we, Amy and I, felt was normal. He assured us we'd learn to deal with the stress and anxiety as we got older. It seems like grown-ups always say that.

"Mr. Angelov? Not to be rude but where is Salina now?" Amy questioned softly.

"She's on the Keepers Council."

"Are you still together?" Amy questioned with a smile.

"Yes." Angelov was like a closed book with a blank cover. No emotion played over his face or entered his voice.

"She knows about us? Amy and I?" I leaned back and crossed my arms over my abdomen.

"She does. She's the one who assigns all of your Guardians." He explained.

"Not the King and Queen?"

"No. They ordered the Guardians but Saline chooses the ones most likely to fit."

"Why wasn't Audrey and Wilma assigned to us to begin with. I like them." I had wondered about this for weeks.

"They where assigned to someone else. The threat had to be delt with before they could be reassigned."

I nodded. "Does there need to be a threat for someone to be assigned a Guardian?"

"No. Some Guardians have permanent assignments, such as high ranking council members, the royal family, and a few other government officials. Para's in high risk situations can hire a Guardian, like a body guard. Having a Guardian can have the effect of deterring potential threats. If a person can't afford to hire a Guardian they can file a priority request. A Guardian is assigned while the request is processed. If the threat is considered reliable the Guardian stays until the situation is resolved. If the threat isn't found to be viable the Guardian is recalled."

"What if it's never resolved or takes years?" Amy lifted her eyebrow.

"The Guardian stays on until the situation is resolved." Angelov repeated as Smith knocked on the door and then entered.

"Sorry to interrupt the lesson but the Queen wishes to speak with the princesses before they leave. She'll be calling the red line again in twenty minutes."

"Thank you, Smith, we were just finishing up. We'll meet you in the library in a moment. Can you have tea sent up?"

We gathered our things and went to the other library. Tea and cookies were sent up just moments after we sat down around the table. I noticed the old red rotary phone had been replaced with a newer red phone since we talked to the royals three days before. I almost smiled. It took him long enough. Welcome to the new age, Angelov, I thought sarcastically.

"Any more questions while we wait?" Angelov tapped his fingers on table.

Amy and I both shook our heads. I fixed my tea and selected a cookie. "I want to borrow the book you wrote if you don't mind."  

"I'm sorry Ms. Stone but Para-Lies doesn't leave the estate." He did, admittedly, sound regretful. But my thoughts circled around the name of the book.

"Paralyze, cute. Meaning Para and lies, right?" I questioned. Angelov nodded. "Why?"

"It documents the lies the Hunters believed and taught. It documents the truth that contradicts those lies."

"So we have permanent Guardians?" Amy asked, changing the subject, while tracing the rim of her tea cup. "What if we don't get along with our Guardian?"