Chapter 55 Comfort

Chapter 55 Comfort

The dinner was longer than I expected. Just as we finished one plate another was delivered to the table. One plate turned into seven, seven turned into ten.

The king and queen answered our questions and asked questions of their own.

In all honesty I liked them. I admit the first few minutes had been awkward but the feeling faded the longer we talked. The queen loved the Para-world and all who belonged to it. I still wanted to go home for the night but I left the idea open for staying the next night. I took the opportunity to let them know I wouldn't be staying the night as expected. They seemed to take it well but but felt hurt. It didn't help when Amy also informed us she too needed to go back home. After a few moments of silence the conversation started flowing again.

The Queen valued the human world. She had a best friend in the human world, a female named Kelly. They had met only ten years before. Kelly knew about the Para-world because of the queen.

The king had never really had much contact with humans but indulged the Queen's human interest. He truly loved the Queen and I wondered if the feeling was mutual. Angelov had once said she did but I didn't notice her give the king the little looks that he constantly flashed her way.

They didn't freak out when we told them our parents knew about us, about what we really were. They did ask a lot of questions. They seemed satisfied with our answers but where concerned about the need to use compulsion on the Greens. The King, more then the Queen, had concerns.

"Their reaction is a bit extreme, even for ones who are - blindsided, as you call it." He maintained.

"We didn't have the best reaction either." Amy said in defense of her parents.

"Yeah, we kind of freaked out. It took us time to chill out." I added.

The king quirked an eyebrow and tilted his head. "I understand that but you didn't yell and accuse your daughter of being a demon. You weren't put under compulsion to keep you from speaking of the Para-world, that alone is a risk. Compulsion can fail. You didn't-"

"Out loud, I didn't say most of my thoughts. But I did think of demons and angels. I thought of monsters and insanity. I wondered about myths and legends." I waved my fork in the air. "It wasn't easy. But I had Amy. For me it wasn't easy, but having someone going through it with me made it easier. I felt selfish that I was glad I wasn't alone. I can't image what the Greens are thinking, but they don't have the support we have had. Angelov, Kyle, Eric, each other and our friends, we couldn't have dealt with this without them. The compulsion is temporary, I'll lift it when I can, if I ever can, for now I'll reinforce it every month if I need too.  But for now its to keep us safe and the Greens safe. We can't have them put in a padded room or worse, have people believe them. My compulsions don't fail."

The king glanced over at Angelov after a moment of tense silence. Angelov nodded. "She's been tested. Her aptitude with compulsion is extraordinary." He explained.

Was it just me, or did the king look really pleased? I mentally shook my head. I had other more important things to think about. "Highness," I said addressing the queen, "your friend, Kelly, how did she take the news?" I was so intent on my thoughts I almost didn't notice the mild look of pain flash over her face.

"Humans seldom come into the knowledge of the Para-world without some form of disbelief, Stephanie. Your father is only pointing out potential concerns. A vampire your age can seldom cast a compulsion strong enough to overcome such violent reactions." She shook her head as I opened my mouth to reply. "I said seldom. But as Angelov has vouched for your skill I expect him too see that the situation is contained."