Chapter 52 Dinner With The Greens

It was easier now being able to make it to Angelov's. I didn't have to make up a reason to be out of the house. Mom and Dad still enforced the curfew at ten or the call if you're going to be late. Now even if I called I still had to be home by 10:30. They knew I could literally run home.

I didn't tell anyone that I had told them about being a vampire. I thought about telling Amy and Eric. I debated whether to tell them together or separately. If I told them separately I'd have to decide who to tell first. Together, it had to be together.

A week after telling my parents what I was I told my boyfriend and sister what I had done.

Eric was pissed. "Are you crazy? What if they tell someone? What if it slips out?"

"They won't tell anyone."

"It doesn't have to be on purpose, Stephanie."

"They won't. I used compulsion to make sure there wouldn't be a slip."

"Did you compel them to be okay with it?"

"No. But it took a few hours for me to realize they really were okay about it." I shrugged my shoulders like I hadn't really cared.

I noticed the look on Amy's face. I could tell she was thinking about telling her parents too. I remember how I felt when I thought my parents believed I was a monster.

"Ams, if you tell your mom and dad, you need to be prepared to face the fact they may not - take it well."

"Maybe I could use compulsion." She said softly.

I didn't reply. Eric did. "Amy, I love you like you're my sister, but you're not that good with compulsion."

Amy looked over at the tree line. "It was just an idea."

"I'll go with you, if you decide to do it. I'm okay at compulsion, if you need it."

A week before the King and Queen were expected to arrive I had dinner at Amy's house. I don't know what it is about sitting at the easing into it. Her parents were talking about the gas mileage on a scooter compared to a car and Amy dropped her fork and simply blurted out, "I can't take it. Mom, Dad, I'm a vampire. Not the mentally ill people who think they are, but the real thing."

As expected, they didn't understand. They stared at her with blank expressions.

"Is this some kind of cry for attention?" Her dad asked.

Mrs. Green glanced at me with a slight look of embarrassment.

"No, I'm a vampire. I was born a vampire. I transitioned over a year ago. And neither of you noticed."

The last comment caused me to lift a brow. I didn't even think about that, we had tried hard to keep our parents from noticing anything out of the ordinary.

"No matter what, you should have noticed." She accused.

"Amy, vampires don't exist. You need to st-"

Before her dad could finish the sentence she had pushed back from the table and extended her fangs. She had kept her lips apart so her parents could see them grow.

Within seconds all hell broke loose. Mr. Green stood so fast the chair crashed to the floor. He was yelling and screaming at Amy. Worse he accused her of being a demon. The Greens had never been super religious but he seemed to suddenly change his mind.

I stood and looked Mrs. Green in her eyes. "Calm down." I ordered. Instantly her sobs stopped. "Sit down." She sat in the chair she had just vacated.