Chapter 45 Virus

Chapter 45 Virus

After our biological parents had paid off all our families debts my parents set up an account for me. At first I didn't use it because I knew where the money really came from. Eventually I started using it on small things. Fines at the library, a 'soul sisters' necklace to give to Amy, and a used car for me. When I bought the car I didn't realize all the other things I'd need. Insurance, registration, gas, oil change, the list of things needed for the car seemed to be endless.

I also bought some things for the werecats. I had been  disgusted when I realised they lived mostly on small animals Olivia hunted.

She was teaching Kinsey to hunt and I understood that. Werecats were born human and shifted to animal form shortly after age six. Kinsey had shifted for the first time only a year before.

I bought a lot of canned and dried meat. I brought it to the dry cleaners on my next visit. It was a Saturday and I had ran with all three of packs of provisions.

School had started back a month before and I had discovered the werecats two weeks ago. For some reason  after finding them and talking with Olivia I didn't train for more then an hour before growing tired.

This went on for another week before even my morning run became affected. I was tired before even making it to school. Angry at myself for my weakness I pushed myself harder in my free time after lunch.

By the time I snuck out of the house the next night I decided to take my car to the dry cleaners. I pulled up across the street.

Olivia stood in the main room, crouching and watching the door as I entered. It turned out cougars hissed, teeth revealed when they felt threatened. The hissing growl halted as soon as she saw it was me entering.

Seconds later she stood in human form. "Sorry, Stephanie," she still pronounced my name with a strange accent, "you come in car." She gave a questioning tilt of her head. "You ave not do this before."

I smiled reassuringly. "Sorry. I didn't think about what you would think when you saw the lights."

It was hours later and my fist ached as I pounded the punching bag. I noticed sweat dripping down between my breast and between my shoulder blades with every flex of my muscles. My head hurt with a study pain at my temples.

Olivia and Kinsey had left for an urban hunting lesson. I still shuddered at the thought of them eating what they killed.

Olivia had simply explained she couldn't teach Kinsey to hunt without prey. She also explained she wouldn't let the prey die a worthless death. "We kill it we must eat it or be in danger of our life."

I understood. It was still gross. 

Gasping for breath I stopped hitting the bag. A wave of dizziness swirled around me. I grabbed the bag, hugging it, I tried to stay upright. I couldn't find enough oxygen in my breath. The scant light from the lantern and the street lamp outside both faded as my body grew heavy and my pulse pounded in my head.

Head pounding I tried to open my eyes as someone called my name. Something warm and soft slapped my cheek. My eyes opened but fluttered closed. I barely had time to recognize Olivia leaning over me in the dim light. Pain pounded my skull, Olivia's voice bounced around in my ears.

"Passed out- cannot- friends. For a few weeks- to do. Dry- tried to-" I only understood a few words of what she said. But I quickly realized she wasn't talking to me. Her voice was low but it didn't stop the sound from irritating my headache.

At some point I must have went back to sleep because the next voice I heard was Kyle.

"Where?" His voice sounded far away.