Chapter 47 Arrangements

I called Crow and met him at the edge of the wooded area behind my house.

"So, we're running?" He asked. "I assume you know the way and we won't be seen. Or are we running human speed?"

"Follow me." I took off. I didn't hold back but Crow matched my pace perfectly. I did change speed when in areas we could possibly be seen. I didn't want or need a lecture.

When we neared the dry cleaners I slowed to a walk.

"I smell them." Crow told me his nostrils flaring. "How long have they been here?"

I answered him as we crossed the street. There were no cars, other people or businesses with interior lights on inside. Most of the businesses in a two block radius had gone out of business in the last four years.

"Odd. Werecougars, prefer less urban areas." We paused outside the dry cleaners. He looked up and down the deserted street.

"Wait here." I told him. I went inside to find them waiting for me.

"You brought someone with you." Olivia sat on the deflated air mattress. Kinsey lay asleep curled up beside her.

I knew it wouldn't be long before Olivia woke her to go hunting.

"He's one of my Guardians. They've agreed not to tell anyone about you or the den." I assured her.

"You've got more then one Guardian?" She tilted her head, she looked at me questioningly. "Why? Few have more than one."

"Remember I told you I was raised by humans?— It's been determined I need to be taught about the Para-world and-"

"Oh my goddess." Her eyes widened. Cautiously, she pushed her way up from the floor. "Please?" But she didn't seem to be talking to me.

"Olivia?" I swallowed anxiously, worried.

She held a hand over her lips. Her eyes teared. "Rumors. There are rumors of the royal family. The Queens heirs have been found. But this is impossible." She took a step forward. She shook her head, inspecting me, clearly confused. "Is it not? The rumors say Europe."

"Europe?" I parroted back.

"You can not be princess." She shook her head. "This is not safe. We leave." She turned, scanning the space. In seconds she was gathering belongings.

"Olivia, wait, what are you doing? Stop." I rushed forward and took her shoulder in my hand. She turned, dropping the items of clothing she had gathered and shook her head.

"You do not know. It is not safe. We must go." She stepped back.

I stepped forward and pulled her into a hug. "I will never let anyone hurt you or Kinsey."

She pushed me back. "No. Dangerous to you. Theron looks for us. He's dangerous. We must go. He catch- collect peoples of value." She shook her head, stumbling over words.

But I understood. She wasn't trying to protect them. She was trying to protect me. Obviously, this man, this collector, was after Olivia or he wouldn't be looking for her. She tried again to start gathering their things. I stopped her with a hand wrapped around her wrist.

"Crow!" I said slightly raising my voice to be sure he heard me. As soon as I felt him enter I smiled reassuringly at Olivia. "Change of plans."

"Mommy," Kinsey said sleepily. She smiled when she saw me but still blinked sleepily.

It took a while to get Olivia to explain why Theron was after her. It turned out he wasn't. He was after Kinsey. Kinsey was a rare white cougar. White cougars often grew up to develop powerful gifts. There were many who wanted to use them, or other gifted Paras, for their powers, rarity, or just the sadistic satisfaction of 'owning' a 'thing' of rarity.