Chapter 30 Sleep Deprived

We sat under the tree, Eric facing the length of the courtyard, I faced the school and Kyle sat with his back to the courtyard. Kyle, the nark, told Eric about the incident in the hallway. Eric suggested calling Angelov. That didn't make much sense to me.

"Why? I didn't think you trusted him."

"I don't, exactly. I do think if he wanted to hurt you he could have by now." Eric leaned back against the tree. "So far he's already been a lot of help." He lifted his eyebrows. "Think about it, Steph, if you had started the transformation before meeting him, without his tea, without his," he moved his lips in a motion that reminded me of someone who had tasted something bitter, "bagged blood, with out being told anything... how do you think you would have handled it?"

I looked towards the group of kids across the yard. They stood in a group of five. One of the rushed forward, grabbed a girl in pink and spun her around in a circle. The others backed up avoiding the girls flying feet. She shrieked, clearly enjoying the excitement. My mind spun, unable or, unwilling to think about how that could be me in another lifetime. I wasn't sure if the tea had done any good. I started the transformation soon after I started drinking it. Although I hadn't believed in vampires even the night I ended up drinking the blood I know it helped. I know Angelov's explanations helped. If he hadn't seen us that first time Amy and I would have been completely blindsided by the things happening to us.

Even though Amy believed in vampires, had in fact met a vampire, she wouldn't have understood she was changing into one.

No, I should reword that. We were vampires, had been since birth, but suddenly having the fact thrust in our faces without guidance would have been a nightmare.

Not a pleasant thought. The things I could have done if I I had been at home with my parents the night I first needed blood were not things I wanted to think about.

So, I realized Eric had a good point. Maybe I should talk to Angelov. I was fine now but I remember what I felt like in the hallway.

It had been overwhelming. So much so thinking about it scared me. I would love to forget it ever happened but that wasn't safe.

I also wondered if I was normal, normal for a vampire. Like I said, I'm not sure if the tea helped. Obviously it should have.

Kyle's phone sounded in his pocket. Leaning back he fumbled around till he pulled it out. He barely glanced at the display before answering. "Hey, Ams."

He listened to Amy's reply. "No. I'm off til tomorrow. Reese hired a new guy. Walter's cutting everyone's schedule down by eight hours. So I'm free." He listened again. "I can do that. Sure." He thrust the phone out to me. I took it.

"Hey, Amy." I said happy to hear from her.

"Hey, sister. Are you guys still picking me up at 10:30 tonight?"

"Unless you don't think we can." I'm fairly certain my tone said I didn't think that would be an issue.

"No. I just wanted Kyle to come too. You don't mind do you?"

I was aware Kyle could hear everything I said even if he couldn't hear Amy. I licked my lips, not looking at Kyle. "Sure. Not a problem."

"Thanks. I'll see you tonight."

"What about your makeup work?"

"Kyle's bringing it to me after school."

Oh, yeah. Something was going on. Amy and I had to talk privately soon.

We made our way back inside and I stopped at my locker. I didn't want to get in trouble for not having my supplies for class. Thankfully the next class was art. I loved most of the class expect the actual work part. There was no way I would ever need to know that Art Nouveau started in 1890, Paul Gaugin, a French painter, worked as a laborer on the Panama Canal, or Vincent Van Gogh only sold one piece of art while alive. I did love the actual art part. I could draw, in my own way, I was more then passable at painting.