Chapter 60 Planning

Chapter 60 Planning

I hadn't thought to ask the Lycan what time it was or if the group had mentioned a destination. I went back the way I came searching for the trace scent of Karachin and her companions.

When I did find it, it was hard to follow. I lost the trail a few times and had to backtrack. The dark started to fade away but it only served to frustrate me. I was running short of time. I needed to get those letters from my locker. I needed to find Karachin and her companions. I needed to talk to Angelov.

Every time I made a decision fate shoved me in another direction. I could be in another state but instead I was traipsing around in the woods looking for stranger's. It didn't occur to me to just leave anyway. They could be in danger. I couldn't walk away from that.

The trail eventually lead to town but I lost it again around the hotel strip. It was a bad part of town but the rooms in most of hotels were cheep. The hotels attendants didn't ask questions.

The night had long faded and I had been approached three times. One guy assumed I was a prostitute, another assumed I had money to steal and time to entertain him. One of them left with a handprint on his cheek and a few choice words to me. The other left with a limp and would probably never procreate. I think the last was a public service.

The one who affected me most was the third. The third was a girl in dirty, oversized ragged clothes, a bruise on her chin, dark circles around her eyes and she was clearly coming down from a high. I've seen movies about drugs but I'd never seen someone like her. Her scent alone was nauseating. She didn't smell right. Under the filth of living on the street was a scent of drugs and decay. I felt so sorry for her.

I gave her a few dollars, wished I could do more and pointed her in the direction of the cheapest hotel I had been asking questions in that morning. I followed her when she walked away. She didn't go to the hotel. She met some slimeball in an ally and used my twenty dollars in change to buy more drugs.

That was the last straw. I didn't stick around to say anything. I went to Angelov's. It was afternoon and I was alarmed to see my mom's car, along with several other vehicles sitting around the driveway.

I didn't imagine the look of relief in Smith's eyes when he opened the door. After a silent moment he led me to the ballroom. It had been converted to a command center of sorts. At least forty people stood around the space. There were tables set up with computers and other things I didn't recognize.

“Stephanie!” My mom screamed. She pushed between a man who dropped a clipboard and another who simply moved aside. My dad was right behind her, his cane striking against the ballroom floor.

Everyone was aware of my presents now. My friends rushed forward behind my parents. I actually wondered why they weren't at school. Everyone was talking at ones, my parents held onto me as if I would vanish and I wanted to escape. I had never liked being the center of attention.

I looked around the room and just yelled at everyone to shut up. Mom pulled back in shock and froze.

“Ms. Stone. Where have you been?” Angelov demanded taking the opportunity of the silence. “We were under the impression you had ran away.”

I sighed. “I did. I mean I was going to. But,“ I swallowed the saliva flooding my month, “I found out there may be someone in danger, and it could spread to the rest of us.”

The queen stepped forward. “What danger, Lirite?”

I noted the look my mom gave the queen. It wasn't pleasant, it was accusatory. But I didn't comment. I started to explain the situation, as I understood it.