Chapter 37 Human Blood

For two weeks the only person who knew what I had been doing was Amy. I made excuse after excuse not to see Eric or Kyle outside of school.

Crow kept trying to teach me how to protect myself and I kept getting bruises. I didn't try any of the moves I learned in the beginning video. First of all, I wasn't good enough to have an effect against him. Second, I didn't want him to know what I was doing.

Eric kept offering to teach me but I told him I had reconsidered. I just didn't tell him the part I had reconsidered was him teaching me. I left home every night, ran, and practiced in the abandoned cleaners.

I figured out there were places I could run out of the city too. I just never really had time for them.

One of my favorite places was the river. I loved the way the full moon shown on waters surface. Sometimes I would just sit on the river bank and let my mind wonder. It was like drifting on the wind. My mind could float on the air around me. I barely felt connected to my body. I hated

It was Friday night so I was sore from Crows lessons. I had already got ten phone calls that I ignored. Three from Amy, three from my mom, one from Kyle and two from Eric.

I had cut up the video and set each lesson on a loop of ten minutes. On the second lesson I got the first call. By the third lesson I was irritated with the interruptions.

I answered the eleventh call. "What do you want?"

Amy spoke calmly as if I hadn't snapped at her. "Steph, where are you?"

"Practicing. Or I would be if people would stop calling."

"You need to tell me where you are. Kyle and I will come get you."

I almost snapped at her again but there was something in her voice that sped up my heart. "Kyle? Why are you with Kyle?"

"Stephanie, where are you?"

"Amy tell me what is going on?" I started heading to the door. "I'm heading home now. What happened?"

I heard her release an uneasy breath. "There was a wreck. Your dad - your dad's in the hospital."

I ran. I didn't care if someone saw me. I had ignored so many calls. I could have been there at the hospital with my mom. I ran so fast I couldn't hear Amy on the phone. Nothing felt real. I didn't understand how my dad could be in the hospital. I barely said goodbye to him this morning before school. 

I don't know how long it took me to get to the emergency department. I looked around, desperate. I was desperate to see someone I knew and desperate not to. If no one was here that meant there was a mistake.

My mom sat in a chair, her body bent over, hands covering her face and she was surrounded by people. Most I did know. "Mom." I screamed.

I made my way, sobbing, to her side. "I'm so sorry. Sorry, I didn't answer." I dropped down to my knees, my fingers wrapping around hers. "Where is he? What happened?"

She shook her head. Her eyes were wide and mascara streaked her face. "They won't tell us anything. We've asked but they say they'll let us know as soon as they can." She gripped my fingers. "Oh, god."

"Steph, I asked just before you got here. They said there are too many injured and they don't have them all processed yet." Corina said. She worked with my mom at the reality office.

I didn't bother to stand. I just held on to my mom. "What happened?"

"From what we could gathered a moving truck lost control and caused the accident. There were sixteen vehicles in all. We don't know more than that."