Chapter 34 Natural Abilities

I had no idea what compulsion was. Seeing their anger I rushed to explain. "I don't understand. What do you think I did? Crow agreed to end practice today because I've had a really bad day. Now I'm in trouble for something else. I don't know what you think I did." My voice had risen.

Despite myself I found I was close to tears. The only bright spot was Crow. He actually looked pleased. Marco glared at him then at me. His lips set in a grim line. He had gone back to standing with his arms crossed.

Angelov looked thoughtful. I searched every face for answers. 

"There's no way she could have done it on accident. We've been trained." Marco insisted. I got the feeling he really didn't like me.

"It would make more sense that it were an accident." Angelov looked at Marko. Marco stiffened.  "She knows no one who could have taught her the skill, however, it could be a natural talent."

For once I was happy to be talked about like I wasn't there. I wished I wasn't there. I would have been blissfully happy if the floor opened and swallowed me - chair and all.

"But our training..." Marco insisted.

"I wasn't guarding against compulsion. It was just us." Crow admitted thoughtfully. I looked up at the sound of his voice. "I didn't think there was a need." He was looking at me. He sounded thoughtful but his face didn't give me any information about how he felt.

"Regardless, she obviously has the ability. I'll have to inform the queen and have someone come here to train with her." He told them with a finality to the statement. He turned to me. "It seems you have the ability to use compulsion already."

Amy saved me from having to ask. "What's compulsion?"

"The ability to force someone to do as you want them to do." He explained to Amy. Turning to me he ask, "Other then Crow, have you done this to anyone else?"

"What? I didn't even know I did anything to Crow." I looked at Crow. My mind spinning. Mind control. That's what this was. I had thought of Crow and Marko as Angelov's puppets. But I had truly made him mine. I was sure, in my mind, at least, it lessened the offence that it hadn't been on purpose. Still– I had to tell him I was sorry. I needed him to know. "I thought you were just being nice. I've had a really bad day and I thought you understood. I didn't mean to do what ever I did. I'm sorry. Really. I don't know how I did it. I didn't mean to."

"It's alright, princess. I'll keep my shield in place." Crow bowed slightly. His smile eased the tension I felt until I glanced at Marco. I knew he didn't like me.

"Has anything like this happened before?"

I shook my head to answer Angelov's question. I stopped mid-shake. "Wait— maybe. I'm not sure. Principal​ Rashe." I tried to recall the conversation. "I got in trouble in Mr. Bridges' class. It wasn't fair. I didn't mean to disrupt class or embarrass him. But he sent me to the office anyway. I explained to Principal Rashe why I shouldn't be in trouble. I expected to get detention anyway but I didn't." I rubbed my hands on my jeans before relaxing them on the table. I remembered my shock when he sent me to lunch with out a detention slip.

"What about your parents? Friends?" His chair creaked when he leaned forward.

I shook my Nose. "Not that I can think of." My fingers flipped the corner of the pages of the book closest to me.

"You've never heard of compulsion before?"

"Maybe in books or movie. But I didn't think it was real." I tilted my head. "How could I do that to someone without knowing... without meaning to?"