Chapter 4 Called Away

"Okay, let's say that these fictitious vampires were real. Hypothetically." I heard the sarcasm in his voice but I didn't know if the others did. He leaned forward and reached for his pipe, refilled it, tapped it on the black Heliotrope then he lit tobacco inside.

"In this fictitious vampire world, yes, a human can be changed to a vampire. But not, obviously, without risks. The blood exchange could kill the human. Think of it as an allergic reaction or maybe you could think of it as a rejection of a new donated organ. Sometimes the human body rejects the vampire blood. Human dies." He took a drag from the pipe. The smoked bellowed lightly and floated towards the ceiling. "Sometimes the vampire is consumed with blood-lust. But when the human doesn't die... he or she, is changed. A new vampire. They're no longer human but their personalities usually stay the same. They walk, talk, sound, and look the same. Their DNA is changed. It's not instant. Sometimes it can take days or weeks. Once, and I do mean only once, has it happened in hours. But that woman was unique. But like I said, made vampires are very rare. So rare in fact they may as well not exist."

"So what happens when their DNA changes?" Brandon asked, slouched in his chair.

"The created or the born?" Mr. Angelov asked. He tapped his pipe again. I inhaled, the pipe wasn't burning much anymore but I could still smell it. I liked the smell. 

"There is a difference?" Amy blinked, clearly interested. 

"Why? Are the symptoms different?" Eric asked. He leaned forward in his seat, one elbow was propped on the arm of the chair.

I rolled my eyes. This was so stupid. I kind of tuned out, the tape recorder would get what I missed, so I started looking around the room again. Later, when I listen to the tape, I heard what he told the others.

"Vampires and humans have different immune systems. The vampire recognizes the symptoms as a part of life. If bitten by another vampire it would only release endorphins. The endorphins would cause the vampire to feel satisfaction and other emotions. However, humans are different. They recognize the vampire venom as a threat. Their body fights it. Just as it fights snake venom, a virus, or bacteria. Their immune system emits chemicals to fight what it thinks of like an infection. The effect can be mild or can be severe. It depends on the human. In mild cases, the human experiences flu-like symptoms, as vampire teens. Mild fever, muscle aches, a mild rash, even a toothache as the body changes. In severe cases the human can experience all of those symptoms on an intense scale, leading to seizures."

"So the vampire teen can die?" Brandon asked, interrupting.

"No, it's a part of the vampire physiology. They all go through to mature." Mr. Angelov told Brandon. He now placed his cold pipe on the Heliotrope. "They are prepared in ways the human bodies aren't." His lips opened as if to continue but the door opened and Mr. Smith entered.

He took us in a glance but seemed to dismiss us as quickly.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but Mr. Angelov you have a phone call." Mr. Smith intoned.

"Tell them that I will call them back." Mr. Angelov said almost dismissively.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Angelov, but this can't wait. You instructed me to hold all phone calls with the exception of hers." Mr. Smith said.

Before he started to speak Mr. Angelov was already moving to stand. He moved smoothly. His movements contradicted his age. "I'm sorry children; it seems I have to take this call. We shall continue when I return."

Brandon rolled his eyes. Amy shot Brandon a dirty look as Mr. Angelov exited the room. "You jerk." She said as the door closed.

He shrugged his shoulders and looked at her sheepishly. "What?" He asked.

"It must be important –" she started to say.

I cleared my throat, then slowly stood, interrupting any further verbal assault that she had planned. "Sorry. Excuse me."

"Where are you going?" Kyle asked.

My cheeks heated in embarrassment. Without looking at him I simply said that I was going to use the restroom.

"This house is huge, what if you get lost?" He asked.

"I won't get lost," I assured him as I walked across the heavy carpet.

"What if you do?" he injected.

I sighed. "I won't."

He opened his mouth but before he could utter a word Amy was at my side. "I'll go with you."

Eric tapped him on the arm but Kyle didn't acknowledge him. He nodded at us as if he was satisfied with this salutation but the look on his face said he was disappointed. Amy took my elbow and practically ushered me from the room. She released me turned and shut the door behind us. As soon as we were out of earshot I glanced over at her. "What's that about?"

She looked at me for a long time as we took at least five steps along the hall. Finally, she shook her head. "He has a crush on you."

Her assessment startled me and I stumbled. "No, he doesn't," I said as I settled my steps into our previous pace.

"Yes, he does, for about four weeks now. Or at least that's when I noticed," she told me.

I tried to remember the past four weeks. I didn't remember anything that indicated a crush. He treated me the same now as always. "Since when?" I asked.

"I don't know when it started. I just saw the way he was looking at you in Taekwondo. It was- like in the movies- that look." she said dreamily. "When he noticed I was looking he turned away. He never mentioned it to you, so I didn't either." She shrugged absently.

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

OK. A few edits made. Many to go. I'm sure I have missed a few mistakes.

As always... comment, like, share, follow and add to your library.

Love ya all,

Asha