Chapter 41 Scent Of Cloves

I could smell him, his scent was thick with the smell of something spicy, I later learned was cloves.

Seconds later my heart thundered for a new reason. I jerked back. What was I doing! I yanked my self from the embrace. Fear coated my mind about what I almost did. I was terrified of what I wanted to do. I slammed my hand over my mouth as if by covering my fangs I could somehow change my last thought. I took a trembling step back.

"Steph?" Eric asked clearly confused. He lifted up on his elbows, gazing at me with an expression of longing. "Are you okay?"

I didn't know how to feed that way! Was it even possible to do it with out killing? I shook my head. I can't kill Eric. I can't take the chance. My hands dropped to my side. My stomach still clinched, wanting to try anyway.

"I'm sorry." I backed up as I tried to explain. "I can't. It's too dangerous. I can't. What if..." I didn't have the courage to finish the sentence. I turned and ran. I didn't have a plan. I didn't grab my things.

The distance between us grew until I could no longer hear him calling my name or hear his feet pounding the earth in pursuit. I was faster and knew he'd never catch up. He wouldn't find me. No one would.

I ran till I came to a more populated area. My breathing was rugged and my heart thudded. My fangs had long ago retracted. My thoughts kept circling around what I had almost done. I felt no shame but anger seethed inside me.

I hated being a vampire! How could I possibly live for centuries like this? Millennial?

The incident brought up questions. We feed from blood bags, donated blood. We didn't have to kill to feed. Was it possible to not kill if there was a living person under our fang instead of a lifeless bag of blood?

Angelov had been concerned about Amy refusing the bagged blood. She wanted Kyle's blood. I clearly remember that.

Could I have done it? Could I have drank just a little and left him alive? I'm not sure I have that much will power. Leaving him in the park had been hard enough. If I were honest, I had to admit, I almost stayed.

How could I even be craving? It has only been four days since I fed on bagged blood. I skipped lunch but that's human food. Can that effect us?

I was so lost in thoughts I barely noticed it getting darker or the cars shooting past. None of it caught my attention until a car slowed beside me. It's lights glaringly bright shining over the surface of the road. The vehicles engine purred in a study smooth rhythm. The passenger door opened, the tires still rolled over the pavement, the scent of Crow wafting from the passenger compartment. "Get in." He ordered.

I turned, irritated, "Leave me alone." I glared at him. Before he could reply I turned away and sprinted towards the space between two houses.

I ducked under a low branch. I could hear the car pur, footfalls on the lawn, and a TV show playing in the house to my right. The smell of vanilla hung so heavy in the air it was difficult to tell where it came from. I could still smell Crow and knew he was following me.

It irritated me to know he was a vampire and wouldn't be as easily outpaced as Eric.

"Stephanie, stop acting like a child." He didn't yell. He didn't have too. I heard him perfectly.

"Leave me alone, Crow." I didn't yell either.

"No. Stop and we can talk."

I didn't bother to reply. I wove my way through the trees. It was so easy to focus on the forest when I ran. If I wasn't being followed this would have been enjoyable. I loved to run. My breathing barely change despite my efforts and the extent of the distance.